1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Dick Winters, Band of Brothers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Oh no...Very sad news.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

RIP. A great American and a true hero - an average man in extraordinary circumstances who carried out the job to which he was assigned, like thousands of those in WWII.

In the final Band of Brothers segment, will always remember his final words about not being a hero but serving in a company of heroes.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A truly great American leader, and definitely a hero, even if he did not want to be known as one.

Apparently he died on Jan. 2 and was buried on Friday, but wanted a private service with no publicity. I'm not surprised. A public service will be forthcoming; he was 92 years of age.

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

On my way to work today, and I don't know why, but I was thinking of how there are no World War I living vets and how the number of living World War II vets continues to dwindle. And I thought of Dick Winters and wondered how he was faring.
    Currahee! ... to one of the great American soldiers ever.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It always amazed me that these guys went home after the war and lived their lives, most in everyday, comparably mundane jobs. I'm glad we had the opportunity to recognize, better understand and appreciate not only these BofB, but all of the bands of brothers that served so capably in World War II.
    RIP Mr. Winters.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Frank Buckles didn't see combat, but he is very much a living WWI veteran.

http://pershingslastpatriot.com/

And RIP to Mr. Winters, who set a great example to us all.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

RIP Major Winters
    Thanks for all you did a job well done.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Was bummed, but then thought about Nixon, Lip, Popeye, Shifty and the rest of Easy Company receiving him in heaven.

Must've been a helluva reunion.

9. I think Lipton is still alive.

If you have a minute and you know the history of Dick Winters - you should compare it to what Ralph Houk did in World War II. http://www.baseballinwartime.com/player_biographies/houk_ralph.htm

The two had very similar military careers.

10. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Lipton died in December of '01. Compton, Guarnere, Malarkey, Perconte and Babe Heffron are among the notable names still with us.

11. Thanks - I confused Compton and Lipton

Draft saved Draft deleted