1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P., Dante Lavelli

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pseudo, Jan 21, 2009.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/21/lavelli.obit.ap/index.html

2. damn, that's sad

what an amazing player

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I did not know his nickname was gluefingers

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A few days ago I drove by the spot where Lavelli's Furniture was and didn't see it there anymore. Don't know if I missed it or it was already closed down. RIP

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The obit doesn't mention it, but Lavelli fought at the Battle of the Bulge. I guess he used to tell people that he never ran as fast on the football field as he did in France.

A friend of mine was in the process of scheduling an interview with him for our AAFC project. He (and the rest of us) are devastated by this news. Rest well, Mr. Lavelli.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

RIP the pride of Hudson High!

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

One of the best football names ever.

8. And it would have been a great name for a poet, and actor, or a Cardinal.
    (Holy Roman, not St. Louis or Chicago.)

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

My uncle, who recently died, was a good friend of Dante's. Don't know too much about the man other than that he was extremely generous.

I still have an autographed poster of his my uncle gave me.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. chester

chester Member

I had the good fortune to speak with Dante on a number of occasions, and he always seemed to be willing to speak regardless of what subject I was calling about. Truly one of my favorite former players to talk to.

RIP Dante.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

What a wonderful gentleman! He returned a call here to our shop one night and I had the pleasure of answering. Before I could transfer him to the guy who had called him, he asked my name, what I did, how long I've been here, my age, etc.

After I transferred the call, I hung up my phone and said, "I just had the pleasure of talking to an NFL Hall of Famer, Dante Lavelli, and he told me it was HIS pleasure to talk to ME!" He then spent just short of an hour on the phone with our guy.

Wow.

RIP, Mr. Lavelli.

Draft saved Draft deleted