1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Chuck Berry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He must have just rolled up to the fair and met his band for the first time.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm pretty bummed about this one. Since the blues were probably a much greater influence on my early adult years, King's death was more saddening to me, but this one sucks, nonetheless.

Mrs. t_b_f and I had tickets to see Merle Haggard the night after he died, and had agreed to hop over to St. Louis this summer when I get back from Honduras to see Chuck.

*God, please let Keith and Mick live till the next tour*

TowelWaver likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's what he did. He didn't tour with a band, because he'd have to pay them. He'd meet a band of guys who grew up playing his music, and would play for a little bit of nothing to play a gig with Chuck Berry. He'd insist on cash money, up front, or he wouldn't walk on the stage. He got screwed too often as a young man, and those became his policies.

TowelWaver likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

That's one ticket I got punched really well. I saw the '72 Tour of the Americas, which was the tour for "Exile" and that's about the peak. The Fox Theater in Atlanta seats 3,700 and I caught the "Some Girls" tour there. Caught them a couple of more times but those were the peak.

I don't know if you've seen the show, but there's a guy named Matt Sweeney who plays guitar and did a couple of seasons of a show where he interviews and plays with well known guitarists. Some of it is pretty mundane, some of it is "How the hell do you get that sound?" and some of it is really good and interesting sounds and interview work. He did one with Keef that was so successful that they released the outtakes as part two. Keith talks about Chuck a bit in part two. I love how Keith keeps doing that old man grunt, MMmmmhmmmm. That and his rheumy old laugh. LOL.

This is the same guy with Billy Gibbons, over at Kid Rock's house.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I saw Chuck - for five songs anyway - before I walked out figuring if he didn't give a shit why should I, Roy Orbison, Little Richard, Ronnie Hawkins and the great Hank Ballard. Late friend of mine saw Buddy Holly, Fats Domino and Elvis and he saw Johnny Cash well north of 125 times.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

7. EStreetJoe

That might be a fun one, but my favorite Bruce cover of a Chuck Berry tune is this one (although the description has the wrong date - it was Feb. 5, not Feb. 2)

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Southside Johnny's live album has an absolutely smoking version of "Back in the USA"

EStreetJoe likes this.
  9. EStreetJoe

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ha, was looking for a link online and couldn't find one!

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

A friend had a similar experience with Chuck. From his FB post:
    Final note on Chuck Berry. In 1990 Chuck played the local Balloon and Wine festival in Podunk. He was a last minute replacement for another act that cancelled.

Chuck showed up in a big Cadillac and stayed in his car until my friend, who was in charge of festival entertainment, showed him a brief case full of money, which assured the legend he would get paid. One can imagine Chuck had been burned a few times over the years.

12. Neutral Corner

That habit was the root of his problems with the IRS late in life.

Draft saved Draft deleted