1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Chuck Berry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Closing out our Sunday edition now (smaller daily in Santa Barbara Co.); we had it downpage A1.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Slate wrote a big thing on Berry's 90th months ago. Went to the comments and stumbled upon mention of this. Funky.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Saw him at the Missouri State Fair in 1988. He yelled at the band between songs. He yelled at the band during songs. He stopped a song and turned to the drummer and yelled: "Whose show is this? Is this your show? No. This is not your show. This is MY show." He seemed really old and tired at the time, which is why I was surprised yesterday to learn he was "only" 90.

But anything you hear any rock 'n' roll guitarist do today, you're hearing it because Chuck Berry did it first.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Jimi tearing through "Johnny B. Goode", I am almost positive this is the version from Hendrix in the West, one of the best Hendrix live collections....

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

All of Chuck's children are out there playing his licks. RIP.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I saw him live in the early '80s (I think), and he was fabulous. Combined Reelin' and Rockin' with Little Queenie ("Meanwhile, I was still thinkin' ") and brought the house down.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My favorite Chuck Berry moment. NSFW

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Holy cow, that's awesome.

And it was a five-second screech, too ...

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

All these posts and no mention of his only No. 1 hit?

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, that song sucked. And as much as I loved Chuck Berry, the guy was crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted