1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Chester McGlockton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rmanfredi, Nov 30, 2011.

1. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

As a Raider, Chester McGlockton went to the opposing (Chiefs) sideline during a game, to tell them he wanted to sign with them the following offseason.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Here's a photo of him coaching at Stanford. Looks like he'd slimmed down quite a bit since his playing days:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

NY Times story from a couple weeks ago on a now-retired offensive lineman and his view of what life was like in the NFL trenches.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/sports/football/kris-jenkinss-view-of-life-in-the-nfl-trenches.html?_r=1

Covered the kid (and his coach father) a number of years ago.-

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Kris Jenkins story is exactly what I thought of when I saw this thread.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Bay Area Newspaper Group (SJ Merc News, Contra Costa Times, Oakland Tribune) re-posted a 2008 column that discussed his post-career pain. Notably, he had lap-band surgery to lose the weight -- I don't think many doctors think that's a very good idea.

http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_19440914

"What's scary is I'm only 39. God forbid when I get to 50, 60. I'm just hoping I can walk."

Draft saved Draft deleted