1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

r.i.p. budd schulberg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Aug 6, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

one of the great writers in modern american history, imo, dead at 95.

terrific tribute by his good friend, wally matthews, here:

http://www.newsday.com/to-the-end-budd-schulberg-was-a-man-s-man-1.1351654

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Though less well known than On The Waterfront, check out A Face In The Crowd if you haven't yet. It will blow your mind.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As I've noted on the movies thread, AFITC and Sweet Smell of Success are the required
    '50s double feature for true aficionadoes of "the media and its effects" movies.

Figured this thread would come in light. The guy was instrumental in multiple great
    books and scripts, but the movies were made in black-and-white, so who cares . . .
    ::)

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ben, just watched Meet John Doe, very similar to A Face In The Crowd. Crazy seeing movies made 50 years ago that seem to have been written yesterday.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A great American writer. Don't forget "What Makes Sammy Run."

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I went out to his home and wrote about him about five years ago on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of OTW.

http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articles/2004.06-film-Budd-Schulberg/

The Disenchanted is a Budd novel that isn't mentioned enough ... a slightly fictionalized account of his experience working with F Scott Fitzgerald on a screenplay. But Sammy and The Harder They Fall stand up. I just look at his Waterfront novel the other day sorting through my shelves. It has a far darker outcome than the movie.

At 90 he was still trying to work every day. Thankfully the plans to What Makes Sammy Run with Ben Stiller forever stalled or that would have been enough to kill him.

I'm glad that I had a chance to meet him ... actually spent the day and most of the night with him and stayed in touch with him on a not quite monthly basis up until, I guessing, 2007.

RIP

o-<

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The guy did sing like a bird to HUAC in the Blacklist years.

But I enjoyed his books, and Face in the Crowd is great.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

stellar. thanks for posting.

Draft saved Draft deleted