1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P Brad Van Pelt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Feb 18, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There was a documentary on CBC's Fifth Estate a few months back that examined the early deaths (mid 50's) of a number of Edmonton Eskimos from the 80's teams.

One of the brains they examined, a player who had gone through multiple concussions, was, according to the doctor, that of an 85 year old man

The reporter, Bob McKeown, played for six seasons in the CFL.

Being the father of two kids playing university football, one of whom has a good chance of being drafted in the CFL this year, I found this programme scary as hell.

CBC usually has past episodes up on their website but I can't find it. If I do, I'll post it.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

yes, this is a depressing thread and hate to hear about Van Pelt. what a great athlete.
    how many from the Steelers' Steel Curtain days are gone now?
    I was interviewing Bradshaw last summer and he kept bringing that up, the number of guys out of his era now gone and many from his team.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Referring to the ongoing pension dispute, Joe DeLamielleure told me that most of the guys his age (he turns 58 next month) were advised to take the early (but reduced) benefits option, beginning payments at 45 instead of 55, because the actuarial stats weren't in their favor.

And Drip, that -- plus the increased incidence of Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia among NFL retirees -- has relatively little to do with "letting their bodies go once their careers end."

R.I.P., Mr. Van Pelt.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Steroids were no small factor on those Raiders teams Van Pelt played on. See Alzado, Lyle.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Pro football players have died early long before steroids came into vogue. Alan "The Horse" Ameche, who summered at the same place in the Poconos my parents did when I was a kid, died on the tennis court, younger than Van Pelt. NOTHING about football playing is good for you. Too bad it's so exhilarating.

6. micke77

micke77 Member

didn't they link steroid use to some of the problems with those Steel Curtain guys who died at an early age?

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

RIP, Brad Van Pelt
    Way too early to go.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's it.

The rub.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

They are like sports' coal miners.

10. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

BVP..#10...such a fave of Jint fans in the hapless 70's. A great player who fell into our laps in the second round because he was also a possible 1rst round baseball pitcher (and was, St. L). A rare great draft choice by Jint establishment in the early 70's.
    His first year wasn't much, couldn't find a position for him (safety? or LB?) in fact he kicked more that year (hence his #10 uniform request was honored) especially on kick-offs.
    When he found his stride at OLB strong it was fun to see that #10 out there in the scrum.
    Wish when his son was QB at CSU we could have met Dad, one of the few times I'll say that.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

That is a great analogy.

12. tommyp

tommyp Member

A recent picture of Van Pelt showed that he looked to be in pretty decent shape, but Harry Carson said in this story that BVP did not want to attend a heart screening event the Giants held during the SF Game last year:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02192009/sports/giants/brad_van_pelt__57__longtime_giants_lb_155945.htm

"Brad was very adamant that he wasn't going to go, because he really didn't want to know what was going on," Carson said. "There is no doubt if there was something going on with Brad from a cardiovascular standpoint they could have picked it up and perhaps done something to alleviate the problem or something to avert the problem and we wouldn't be where we are today. We shouldn't even be here, we are.

"I'm saddened, but Brad lived life on his own terms."

Carl Banks.

Draft saved Draft deleted