1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P Brad Van Pelt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Feb 18, 2009.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

14 seasons in the NFL with that equipment and those hits had to be a factor. Guys during that time might as well have been crash test dummies.

Assuming Brad is a relative of the other NFL-playing Van Pelts, one of the regulars at my bar is related to him. I'll have to tell him I'm sorry to hear the news.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

One of my favorite players growing up. I thought about him when the Giants won their first Super Bowl and thought it was a shame he wasn't on the team. He played through some horrible years and deserved a better fate.
    VanPelt and Brian Kelley were the beginning of the great Giants linebackers, then Carson, Taylor, Reasons, Banks and Pepper Johnson.

R.I.P. #10

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

He was Mr. Giant. He was class. He will be missed.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know Van Pelt's kid played at Colorado State, but is Scott Van Pelt any relation?

And who was it that replaced him on the Giants? Gary Reasons?

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If I remember correctly, this dude was dating the mom of some guy I play basketball with. Didn't know they were engaged. Sad.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

RIP, No. 10. Condolences to his family.

There might be a pretty good story for someone to research about the age of death for NFL players who played during the 1970s.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Someone, at some point is going to have to discuss how retired NFL players' lives continue after they stop playing.

It's a black mark on the game that few seem to want to think about.

8. heyabbott

Don't want to go off thread because Brad Van Pelt was a great player that I followed his entire pro career, BUT...
    It seems like NFL players are viewed by the fans and media alike as disposable and hulking proto-humans. Whethers its the repeated concussions or the steroid abuse in the NFL, no one seems to want to cover it or read about it.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

As for the number of football players dying early, there's no question that many let their bodies go once their careers end.

10. heyabbott

If you were an NFL player that means you started playing contact football at around 10-12 years old. That's a long time to hit the weight room, 2 a days, full contact drills and be at the mercy of football coaches who make Marine Drill instructors look like Montessori school teachers. The beatings they take for almost 20 years, the poundings and the cortisone shots all add up.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Brad Van Pelt's nephew, Bo Van Pelt, plays on the PGA Tour. Hasn't won, but not a bad player: 64th or higher on the money list four times. Tied for eighth at The Players Championship in 2006.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

No question. A car crash on every play.

Draft saved Draft deleted