1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. actor James Farentino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lone star scribe, Feb 21, 2012.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Each of these posts made me snort, which makes me a bad person, but I'm OK with that.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Tony Franciosa was awesome in Across 110th Street.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

1. Tony Franciosa
    2. James Franciscus
    3. James Farentino

AP's 60s Italian Actor Poll as voted on by those who believe the world existed before 1990 and loved The Name of the Game. Getting popped by James Garner puts Franciosa over the top.

YHS, etc

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Fransciosa into the Anthony Hall of Fame for "A Face In The Crowd" and "A Hatful Of Rain."

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That's very true. Which is why there were far more news stories, etc., over her death than James Farentino's.

That doesn't change the fact he was a very popular actor in the 1960s and 1970s, and thus his death does resonate with a certain segment of the country. Just as the deaths of Dave Clark (of the DC5), Eric Burdon, Jeff Beck, John Sebastian, Donovan, and other icons of 60s and 70s music who have faded from the scene will when they pass, even though they haven't been especially relevant musically for several decades.

6. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

No, you're thinking of Banicheck. That was George Peppard.

7. Was he the one with the black secretary?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That was "Mannix." Great show, kind of a Magnum PI of the 1960s-70s.

Draft saved Draft deleted