1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.E.M. announces they're breaking up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What's the frequency Headbutt?

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm stunned at how few people have heard their last few albums, all of which were very strong, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/remsuperserious#p/a/f/0/f8TLAbvQWvI

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My favorite is probably "Try Not to Breathe," but I have a bunch. "Driver 8" is up there. "Maps and Legends" is definitely up there. "Finest Worksong." "Strange Currencies" and "I Took Your Name" off of "Monster." "Half a World Away." "Turn You Inside Out." Every single note played on "Life's Rich Pageant."

So many great songs. What a legacy.

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

R.E.M. is now and always will be my favorite band.

It's a sin that I've only seen them once, at Saratoga Performing Arts Center in 1999.

The fact that Patti Smith opened did not suck.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I saw Radiohead open for them once. You want to talk about a hell of a bill.

6. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Leonard Bernstein!

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Saw them in 1995, Halloween night. I was probably the only person who disliked Automatic for the People and enjoyed Monster.

Great band, in their day. That day ended a while ago, but that doesn't diminish their great run.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Exactly, Accelerate and Collapse Into Now are terrific. "Supernatural Superserious", "Man-Sized Wreath" and "Living Well Is The Best Revenge" from Accelerate are three of my fave REM songs.

One of my fave things they did - well three of them, minus Stipe - was the album as the Hindu Love Gods with Warren Zevon (RIP).

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

On my last day as a high schooler, I won two tickets from Bob & Tom to see R.E.M., my reward for knowing Babe Ruth finished his career as a Boston Brave. On a feeling really old note, I missed my 25th high school reunion last weekend.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That was the tour I won the tickets for! (Except I saw them in Bloomington, Ind., not Eugene, Ore.)

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They toured for Automatic for the People? I must have missed that one... College girlfriend worshipped REM, but I didn't think they toured in 1993.

Draft saved Draft deleted