1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.A. Dickey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Jun 18, 2012.

1. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I hate to cite the eye test, but there's no question who wins that one.

I guess we need SI to do an anonymous poll of GMs and executives who will all say they'd prefer Verlander.

Dickey is a much more interesting story. His control of the knuckleball -- this season and to an extent the last couple -- is at historic levels.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. The last two seasons made sense. He had ups and downs. He was perhaps a bit more effective than most, but he could actually throw a fastball once in a while. Sure, it wasn't blazing, but it was enough.

What he is doing this year is just insane.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Because this thread, much like Dickey's knuckleball ...

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wait until you see him in "The Client II."

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Well, it looks like the Yankees have exposed Dickey as just another knuckleballer. Five runs (all earned!) in six innings tonight.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Dickey just feels like the conclusion of the Lin, Tebow Dickey trilogy.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If Manky's fallen off the bandwagon, he's done for.

8. outofplace

Oh good. We went a few hours without more proof that you don't know what you are talking about. It was one bad start against a good lineup after a hell of a run of dominant performances which included a shutout of the Cardinals, who have a more effective offense than the Yankees (They had scored 24 more runs this season going into today's games and widened that gap this afternoon).

To clear it up so even you can understand that isn't exposing. It's a bad night.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Not even I'm gullible enough to fall for that bait.

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I wanted to believe but no one has ever been able to dominate like Dickey had throwing a knuckler. It had to end.

11. outofplace

Manky doesn't believe most of what he types, if he even believes any of it. But sometimes I'm bored enough to point out just how foolish a post is anyway.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is something disingenuous about Orel Hershiser asking R.A. Dickey what if feels like to be on a tear like he's been on.

Draft saved Draft deleted