1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.A. Dickey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Jun 18, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is given that he has only won 20 once. I think it is fair to expect a player to do something more than once before you say he does it every year.

Verlander passed Sabathia a while time ago. Even you realize that, but you keep trolling along anyway.

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

He's on pace to do it again this year. (I know that doesn't mean he will).

Verlander had a better season than Sabathia last year, but overall it's CC #1.

Can we just agree that they are both great pitchers? CC is probably going to finish with more career wins but I will admit that he had an advantage by starting his MLB career at age 21. Verlander didn't enter the Tigers rotation until he was 24.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

He started two games when he was 22 and 30 the next year, but keep on spouting your bullshit.

And Sabathia was 20 when he started 33 games for the Indians. But again, keep spouting your bullshit.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Really, Jetes should handle this.

Jetes vs. Sabathia: 13-29, 4Ks
    Jetes vs. Verlander: 14-40, 10Ks

Verlander wins.

Sorry, Manky. You're still awesome, though.

5. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

But most of those at-bats vs Verlander he was being held back by Kevin Long :D

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

So I was off by a year on each of them. I was still right that Sabathia was MLB-ready much earlier than Verlander.

I don't know why we're debating this, though. They're both elite pitchers.

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

That's a good way of looking at it, but I'm not surprised Jetes has had more success against CC than Verlander. CC was not an elite pitcher from 2001-2006 which is when Jeter had most of his at bats against him.

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

You don't want to get me started on Kevin Long...

9. outofplace

Because you claimed that Sabathia is the best pitcher in the AL even though he clearly is not.

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

OK. You're a stathead, let's compare them by WAR:

2012: Sabathia - 2.2 Verlander - 3.7
    2011: Sabathia - 7.0 Verlander - 8.3
    2010: Sabathia - 4.4 Verlander - 4.1
    2009: Sabathia - 5.9 Verlander - 5.2
    2008: Sabathia - 6.4 Verlander - 1.5
    2007: Sabathia - 6.0 Verlander - 3.9

CC beats him four out of six seasons. Verlander has an edge over the last season and a half but I don't think that's enough to put him ahead of CC, yet. You also have to realize that one of the flaws in that stat is the Yankees have been a better team than Detroit so the win shares get spread among more players.

11. outofplace

I'm a stat head? Jeez, you really have no idea what you are talking about on any topic, do you?

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Sabermatrician if you prefer that term.

Draft saved Draft deleted