1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.A. Dickey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Jun 18, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What, your usual Jeter-related trolling isn't getting you enough attention so you are branching out with more idiocy? If I didn't know you were trolling, I'd explain how far off you are. As it is, I'll trust that the members of the board see it anyway.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I wouldn't let it to that, oop.

Members of the esteemed board often fail to see trolling. 8)

3. outofplace

Hell, I thought I was the last one to dismiss him for it. :)

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Oh, no. Jeter goes 6-for-5. Because he's Jeter.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Roger Angell on RA Dickey.

www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/sportingscene/2012/06/ra-dickey-one-hitters.html

Still the best baseball writer alive.

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Throw Jetes into the party and that KY will need to be a 55-gallon drum full to the brim.

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

How is calling Sabathia the AL's #1 pitcher idiocy?

Sabathia is only 31 years old and will probably finish the season with well over 200 career wins. He has won two Cy Young awards and averages 20 wins a season.

8. outofplace

He has one Cy Young and he averages 17 victories per season. He still needs 15 victories in about half of a season just to reach 200 wins. If you're going to keep doing this shit, at least take two minutes to get at least some of your facts right.

And he isn't even close to Verlander now. Not any more. And that isn't the only pitcher who is better.

Of course, Dickey is pitching better than either of them.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Not defending Manky or anything, but the season's not half over just yet.

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Ok, you got me on the Cy Youngs. I remembered him winning in 2010, but that was the year they gave it to Felix Hernandez even though he went 13-12.

And, Sabathia does average 20 wins a season, or at least he has since 2007. I'm disregarding his early years in Cleveland.

Verlander has a ways to go to catch Sabathia. He's only 3 years younger but 70 career wins behind CC. He has also struggled some this year and is only 4 years removed from leading the league in losses.

I agree that Dickey is having the best season out of all of them but I was only declaring CC #1 in the AL.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The man has won 20 games ONCE in his career.

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Since 2007 he's won 19, 17, 19, 21, 19 and is on pace for 22 wins this year. That's a 19.5 average. So I don't think it's incorrect to call him a perennial 20-game winner.

Draft saved Draft deleted