1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quoting yourself in a story: IndyStar Indiana State Fair stage collapse edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

That's bizarre. Ages ago, Maureen Orcutt, a splendid golfer for decades, was the second female sportswriter for The New York Times. When she covered a tournament she was in, there was no byline.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Still, did she have to say it or think it? Can you say someone said when they only thought??

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Both great posts. Definitely good to know things like that because you just never know.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hell of a good point. How good the desk in Chicago handle a breaking, Saturday night deadline story like this when something happens in Orlando or whatever? Answer must be: Not very well (or at least not as well as it would be handled by having the editors, you know, in the town where things happen).

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I first read the topic head as "Outing yourself in a story: ...."

So I'd say quoting yourself as an eyewitness to a tragedy is a lot better than outing yourself in a deadline story.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We had a guy once write a story about some silly award and in it he mentioned he was one of the previous recipients. I would have NEVER put a byline on it in that case. He did.

7. ringer

ringer Active Member

Now the NYT is covering reactions to stories it published -- see today's Sandomir piece on the reaction to the revelation that Ralph Branca is Jewish (which, in turn, was a story staged by the Times' writer).

Does this bother anyone else?

Another oddity - the writer of the Branca revelation says he wrote for the WSJ for a long time - and yet he decided to give the story to the NYT (and not the Journal). Wonder why. Anyone else?

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It bothers me that Branca's religion is considered news, period.

Draft saved Draft deleted