1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quoting Steinbrenner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

I know there's a thread about what he said about Torre and the Yankees and such in another forum, but I think this is different enough to merit another discussion.

Given what we've all heard about Steinbrenner's condition, how confident would you feel quoting him -- much less writing a story based on what he said?

I'm not sure if I would quote him in this situation unless I was absolutely certain he was of sound mind. Then again, I don't know how to determine that either.

Thoughts?

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

If the owner of the New York Yankees tells you Torre has to win or he's fired, quote him.
    If he's drooling, note that. :)

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Absolutely you quote him. No question about it.

If you ended up with quotes that seemed completely incomprehensible, you could and should ask someone else to comment on his comments. Let someone else make the judgment that he doesn't know what he's saying...that is not your call.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

If he declares war on Canada, get that up near the top.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I'll bet the Yankees could take over Canada without much of a fight.

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Apparently not. There ain't any fight left in the Yankees.

7. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

Heard Ian O'Connor today on the FAN being interviewed by Francesa, who asked him if he was apprehensive at all about quoting Steinbrenner.

O'Connor said George sounded old but not out of it and that he would've held back if the Boss did sound out of sorts.

I've never met O'Connor, but I get the feeling he was being sincere.

Considering what we've read about George's health, it is the responsibility of an interviewer to make sure the Boss fully understands your questions and is fully aware of what he's saying.

If he rambles about firing this guy and getting rid of that guy, but in between what would be good quotes he forgets a name or starts mentally wandering, then you'd be deceiving the reader to cherry pick the good quotes.

After listening to O'Connor, it sounds like he didn't have to do that.

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

When's the last time someone took a photo of Steinbrenner?

9. boots

boots New Member

A photo is going to tell you if George has Altzheimer's?

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Is that what he's got? I don't know what he's got.

He's been staying outta the public eye, so I hope someone gets his photo soon to see if there is any physical change.

11. boots

boots New Member

I suspect there is. George is 77 years old.

12. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Thanks for the news tip. Outstanding work.

Draft saved Draft deleted