1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quoting from press releases

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Obviously, I'd prefer to talk to a person directly when I quote them. But I've found there are times in college/pro coverage (typically for between-game notebooks and such) where the only quotes you're going to have time to get are from a release.

With regard to that, I have two questions I thought you guys might be able to help me out with ...

1) If that's the only quote I can get, am I better off just going without a quote if that's possible?
    2) If I do use a quote from a release, what would be the best way to attribute it? "Greg Oden is my hero," Joe Blow said, in a press release. "Although I'm pretty sure he secretly pities me."? Is it necessary to say that the quote came from a release?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Use only when there's no alternative. ALWAYS make it clear "said in a school-issued statement" or "in a press release" or something. NEVER make it look like you got quote yourself.

3. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Just wanted to confirm I was going in the right direction. Much thanks.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't use them.

5. Always attribute a canned quote to a statement or news release. Postgame quote sheets are a different animal, though. Acceptable there without attribution, but you need to be careful, because schools/teams will sanitize them.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What he said, with my addendum tacked on the end.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Yeah, Stitch, I agree. I'm actually trying to avoid it. I may very well be able to but wanted to check and make sure I attributed it correctly if I did end up having to fall back on it.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You try not to use them, but in the 24/7 world now, you might have to go with a quote from a release if it's breaking news and you want to get it on the web right away.

Or if it's a situation where a coach/AD or whomever doesn't want to talk, issues a release and disappears.

Draft saved Draft deleted