1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes You Never Could Print

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by editorhoo, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Keystone

Keystone Member

It wasn't me, but a veteran reporter at one of my stops was doing a notebook about a softball team about to play for a state championship. The lead item was about the senior pitcher, who used a slingslot motion rather than a windmill when throwing. The coach, an old timer himself, remarked that the development of the girl's breasts helped with her delivery. I think the veteran reporter already had a beer or three in him when he wrote this up.

The SE at the time (somebody who's been discussed on this site before) actually made the right call by not only spiking the story, but sending it back with the remark "Are you CRAZY???"

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Dude, there's nothing better than hooters flopping all whichways during softball. Readers eat that shit up.

3. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Had a reporter come back once with a quote from a coach who said he was "pissed." She asked if she should use it, and I said hell yes, because it summed up how he felt. It captured the moment. Words like ass and pissed aren't exactly the seven on Carlin's list.

While I'm thinking about it, here's a great quote from a soccer coach on a season preview story. My reporter asked him about his defense, and he said it wasn't worth talking about because, "All we have back there are freshmen and girls."

Ahh, the stuff the public never gets to hear.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It's one year later after star football player mysteriously breaks his leg the week before the postseason. His team is back in the playoffs the following season and I'm doing a feature on the team.

I have a vague understanding of how he hurt himself coming into the interview, but what I get is a tale of drunken debauchery which involves jumping off a roof several times in the nude.

I clean it up the best I could, but I do run with most of it. The kid was 18. I repeatedly warned him and the coach that I couldn't completely look the other way on all of this.

Well there's a bunch of hell to pay the day it runs. The parents and coaches throw a bitch, but the kid loved the attention.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Covered a high school football game a few years back where the winning team scored two touchdowns on a fumble rooskie and a long halfback pass, and won 30-29 when the visiting team missed a 30-yard field goal in the closing seconds.
    Asked the winning coach if he felt lucky to get out with a win.
    He smiles and says, "Man, we were luckier than a man with two dicks."

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Doing a preview story for a 5-5 team in my area playing a 10-0 team that was considered invincible.

Quote went something like "All we need to do is get out there on the opening drive, knock them on their heels and make their assholes pucker up."

Another instance, I was interviewing a softball coach after a doubleheader sweep that improved their record to something like 8-12. I asked if this was a great boost to the team's morale and she said "Probably, but I bet their parents still won't stop bitching."

7. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Once had a wrestling coach, upset about an ref's ruling, say, "Usually I don't care who it is jerking me off, but this time it was awful. You know what I mean?"

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Remember when Danica Patrick ran over the crewman during practice during Indy 500 month? The guy landed on his head/face and it wasn't pretty. I asked the crewman's boss a few days later how the guy was doing in the hospital and he said he was fine but "looked like a cross between the Elephant Man and Niki Lauda." Lauda was a former F1 champ who suffered very bad burns to his head in a crash many years ago. Ugh.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

After a string of come-from-behind wins, a veteran college baseball coach once told a colleague:

"The only thing I like doing from behind is fucking."

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

What's wrong with talking about a 16-year-old's boobs?

Draft saved Draft deleted