1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes, quotes and more quotes ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Jun 25, 2011.

1. writingump

writingump Member

Use quotes as a mix, not a staple. Overusing quotes interrupts the flow of a good story. But there should be no hard and fast rule for how you use them. If a story reads better with three or four quotes stacked together, don't mess with it. If you feel it's forced, find another way to write it.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Has anybody ever read a story that was basically a locker room rant, verbatim? I've seen it done and it worked. The writer acted as almost a moderater, stepping in to clarify something or provide context and skipping over a "dead" part of the quote and transitioning it, etc., otherwise it was all the ranter.

I know I've seen it and seen it work, but I'm having trouble thinking of the specific example. Of course, this was a sidebar (maybe a game column), not a gamer and that was part of the context that made it work.

Trying to replicate it would be at your own peril though.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I know what you're talking about, but I can't place it either. We talked about it here, IIRC.

Or did one of my former colleagues write this? Or did I? Ha! Man, this sounds so familiar ...

4. And post only when it adds something to the thread?

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I've seen plenty of stories where the quote is in there basically because the reporter talked to someone and felt forced to include something he/she said. It is possible to talk with a kid and come away with nothing that adds anything of value to your story...in these cases don't feel bad about leaving it on the cutting room floor.

Draft saved Draft deleted