1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes and writing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsDude, Feb 11, 2007.

1. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

How do you approach writing your story and inserting quotes. I usually write my lead, transcribe my quotes, then build my story around them. I'm curious as to see how others do it, especially on deadline and especially with gamers.

2. scribe21

scribe21 Member

That's a secret.

JK: I usually write lead, build the meat (non-quotes) and then add quotes. Really it all depends on how much time I have. It really varies. Also, Whether or not I use a tape recorder also is a factor. Different approaches for different people I guess.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

the lead, for me, is almost always predicated off the best quote. if no quote is worthy, then the situation becomes the lead. the best quote should play well off the lead, imo.

it's sort of like cover or back-page heds often coming off the art.

guess it's a chicken-or-egg deal.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I make them all up.

Remember: It takes two to lie: One to write and one to read.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I always type out all my quotes first, just so when I start writing the story, I know what I'm working with. Like Shockey said, if there's a quote that jumps out and works best with the lead, you already know what you got when you start writing. Plus, it helps to just transcribe everything and not have to go back and forth with a tape recorder.

6. I write the story and anyplace there's a bad transition or a quote needed, I leave an extra line break. Then I transcribe the quotes when I'm done and insert them wherever necessary. Works like a charm.

7. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Depends on the situation. If I'm on deadline, I'll write most of a gamer and then transcribe what I thought were the notable quotes in the story afterward. If it's a Saturday afternoon game and I have time to work, I'll take a while and transcribe most of the interview, if not listen to all of it over again.

8. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Well, that approach did get Jayson Blair to the New York Times :)

9. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Same here. I think, no matter how strong your lede is, if you can find that one go-to quote tie it in with your lede... you can grab the reader right there.

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Usually have a pretty good idea of the framework of the story shortly after the interview...the lead usually emenates from the best quotes and flows from there and the best quotes jump out.
    If it's a feature and you have some time, it's best to listen to the whole interview and you can frame the story in your mind.
    On deadline, you've probably got a quick frame for the story based on the quotes you've just heard.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

For me, it all just seems to come together in my head. Not sure how to describe it all. The best quote usually goes first and it all plays out from there.

12. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I agree, especially when you're dealing with a pack journalism setting and sometimes quotes sound different live than on a computer screen. Can't tell you the number of times I transcribed a tape and had a quote jump out at me after it didn't seem like a big deal when first said. Or vice versa ... You talk to a guy who seems to say a lot, a real motormouth. Then you transcribe the tape and realize he really didn't say anything of substance.

I think you have to know exactly what tools you're working with before you write the lead.

Draft saved Draft deleted