1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Quote approval" -- Where's the outrage?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Wevurski, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

I'm stunned not to have heard much about this abominable practice before now:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/19/opinion/rather-quote-approval-reporting/index.html

I'm having a difficult time envisioning ANY scenario that justifies a reporter making such a deal.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There's some outrage here, but others saying they get it.

For the record: I don't get it.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/91325/

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Poltical reporters are worse than sports reporters in their white-glove treatment of sources.

4. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Sorry for the DB!

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One thing that I think should be an absolute if a news org does print approved quotes is that the process is made clear to the reader.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I am shocked -- SHOCKED!!!

Also, I am outraged. Politicians answer to the people, etc.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I find it extremely sad that the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette is pretty much the only major outlet or journalism organization that has come out to condemn this practice.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2012/jul/18/goodbye-journalism/

Poynter has a story about AP not allowing quote approval, with quotes from AP spokesperson Paul Colford. But nothing from anyone at Poynter saying this is a bad idea.

SPJ has nothing except a "what do you think?" post on its site. Nothing at all from APME/APSE (which may or may not be covered by the previously mentioned AP statement.)

If there ARE other journalism orgs who have taken a public stand against this crap, I hope someone else can prove me wrong by posting links. Because I'm not seeing it.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No live tweeting:

I can understand not wanting reporters to be tapping on their cell phones during a WH press conference. But, a conference call?

At what point is the press going to tell these guys (all of them) to go fuck themselves. They're as bad as the Hollywood press in trading good coverage in return for access.

And, the shame of it is, politicians need the press.

Sports teams and leagues have their own media, websites, writers, and even networks. They're in a position to tell the press to go fuck themselves -- especially when so many fans juts want "happy news" about their favorite teams.

Politicians need free media. There's no reason to live by their rules. All it takes is the press sticking together.

9. As a current former and former latter, I'm doubly hurt.
    I have sources who could confirm as much, but I can't reveal them. ;-)

I have already run into this once, halfway at least. A presidential campaign staffer asked to see in context the quote I was going to use in a story. A quote from said staffer, no less. Not even a candidate. Anyway, I begrudgingly complied - which in hindsight I don't feel altogether proud of - and everything was hunky dory. (It was a fairly soft piece anyway. I'm surprised they even asked.)
    I will say with certainty that had the staffer asked to alter or eliminate the quote, I would have respectfully declined. I'm still new and naive enough to this side of the business that I don't care about pissing off such sources. And I am not going down that road. You want to be protective of your comments, think of that before you open your mouth. I can handle sources being less than forthcoming. I'm used to that. I'm not going to start editing my copy for them.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What the fuck?

Draft saved Draft deleted