1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting the bottle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by scribebaseball, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's only the alcoholics who get agitated... Casual drinkers don't give a shit...

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't forget one thing if you go through with abstaining from alcohol: When you wake up in the morning, that's as good as you're going to feel all day.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And if you don't get drunk, you'll never be able to lose a $30 bet by telling a friend there's no way he can push a plastic drink straw through the cartilage of your ear.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

tell them you plan on getting layed and that you are afraid that little Willie develops ED after too much alcohol.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

scribebaseball, shame? Never.

If you wish, cutting back is a worthwhile decision. Anyone who doesn't like it doesn't need to be around you.

I don't drink, but admittedly I do wonder what some of those shooting me funny looks are thinking (well, those who don't think I look like something not of this planet). I don't ever want to come off as judgmental ... no one does.

I have a reason for my choice. You have yours. It's all good ... kinda lingo right now, but here it fits. Good luck with your decision.

6. I completely understand why you would feel nervous about this, but one thing that i had to come to grips with was realizing who i could drink around and who i had to avoid. Some people in my life were triggers--i couldn't hang out with them without getting completely bombed. Others, i could enjoy a beer or two with and be done with it. Also, at home, i was fine having one or two glasses of wine every so often without it escalating.

I know it's easier said than done, but make a list of your friends and decide which are the triggers. Avoid them for the first couple weeks or months of your sobriety. Go out with them only when you know you are comfortable ordering a soda in front of them. If they are your friends they'll accept it, if not, fuck em

Draft saved Draft deleted