1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting the bottle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by scribebaseball, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

you got that right.....alcoholics can get very self conscious when drinking, even if everyone they're with is drinking booze too.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't know how to measure this, but I'm convinced that the rate of alcoholism among sports media is disproportionally high...the hours, down time, late nights in bars, road trips in lonely hotel rooms with stocked mini-bars....it would be very hard to quit or stay dry if you had a real problem with alcohol.

3. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I think that's a very good point.

A lot may say that the stress of the job may contribute to drinking, and I'm sure that's true for some, but surely sports writing isn't the first job in the history of the known universe that can cause stress.

I think an even bigger cause is the lack of structure. Most people aren't wired to constantly accept weird hours, intense periods of work followed up by gobs of free time and even more travel. Trying to inject at least a little bit of routine into my life, I've found, helps me greatly in terms of keeping good health habits.

Though I'm still somewhat young, my own tendencies to get ripped have shrunk more and more. It's strange...used to be, after a rough day, I'd be all like "Man, once I get home, I'm just going to get smashed." And I still find myself saying that quite often. But more and more, I end up drinking two beers and feeling perfectly fine leaving it at that.

4. In Exile

In Exile Member

It's not just sports media, it's writing, because writing entails spending a great deal of time in your own head and then it's sometimes hard to get out/wind down/make it stop. It's why Tom McGuane called alcoholism writer's "black lung" disease.

5. Hotel bars are what put me on the wagon, 21.
    Looked at my bill at a Marriott one time and there were, like 12 beers on there.

6. busdriver

busdriver Member

Congrats on quitting you have see that everyone on here is right, The biggest thing will be that you will now have grown-up friends that may only have a beer or two and know when enough is enough. Welcome to adult hood

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

A good friend of mine says, "I'm not an alcoholic. I'm a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings."

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Or, "I don't have a drinking problem. I get drunk, pass out, wake up. No problem."

9. busuncle

busuncle Member

Maybe they feel uncomfortable because you are judging them, labeling them "alcoholics" and all...

It works both ways.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'll eat when I'm hungry and drink when I'm dry,
    And if moonshine don't kill me I'll live 'til I die.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've got a drinking problem: Two hands but only one mouth.

Draft saved Draft deleted