1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting the bottle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by scribebaseball, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

aahhh ... well ... sorry to hear. i was hoping it was something quirky or funny like - swallowing a clear glass of liquid, thinking it was water and it was actually raspberry vodka.
    :)

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

does she play with your swizzle stick?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I prefer my Martini's shaken not stirred.

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Let me add one here Scribe,

"Fuck you. I will drink what I want."

Not trying to be a dick here but really, at your age (I am assuming they are right there as well), If they are giving you shit aobut it, beyond good natured shit, then you don't need 'em. At 43 I find myself drinking more now than ever before. I love me my nightly screwdriver (or two if it was a bad day). My friends drink too. But if I choose not to one night they leave me alone. Because they are my friends.

Might be time to start phasing some people out of your life.

But what the hell do I know...I may be drunk right now. (for anyone who is wondering...Three Olive Vodka is the smoothest I have ever had)

Scribe, I am aware that you aren't headed to AA or anything, or need to. I'm just saying good luck.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't drink, not anymore, but I still enjoy going to bars, especially since the smoking ban passed. Anyway, cranberry and club works for me.
    If someone asks, just say that you don't drink. You don't need an excuse, real friends shouldn't care.
    I haven't had a drop to drink since June 6, which makes me sound like I am in AA, but the reality is that it was 6-6-06 and it is a really easy date to remember.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Scribe, I never felt like I had a problem with drinking. I do know that I spent plenty of nights in my 20s and 30s grabbing a pitcher for last call.

And frankly, after a while, I came to realize that I'd rather go home and relax than worry about getting stopped for a breathalyzer or wake up with a headache the next morning.

I sort of think it's part of the evolutionary process. You're the only person you have to answer to on this.

7. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Dude, to me, it's no big deal. Yeah, it might be fun to cut loose and let your drunken alter-ego go, but after a while, it gets old. I'm 24, soon to be 25, and I've been drunk twice this past year. Why? So many reasons. I'm out of college and back home (sadly) and I'd rather drink with my friends in college than the few I have home, but college is 100 miles away. Plus, I have to save money, I'm trying to keep as healthy as I can (4 surgeries in last 5 years thanks to wrestling, pitching & being a klutz), I'd like to keep my DUI-free streak going at least another 25 years, and I feel like shit the next day after getting blasted, rendering me useless for that day.

Basically, it just makes more sense, so tell all the jackasses that are calling you a skirt for not boozing to go fuck themselves. And if they're your friends, say it with a smile.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

When I get questioned about either getting a Pepsi or water while at a bar with my co-workers, I usually get the "What? A Pepsi?" routine.
    I just look, say "yep" and it's done as far as I'm concerned.
    If I get a "why?", I respond with "because" and then they know I'm not discussing it further.

9. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I drink Coca-Cola when at the bars. Can't stand beer. On occassion, whiskey, rum and vodka are my vices. But we don't drink hard unless we're at someone's house where it's a bit more low-key.

But when the question pops up, I say "I live the straight-edge lifestyle. No smoking. No drugs. No alcohol." </cmpunk>

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I barely drink. I can probably count on one hand how many drinks I've had this year... I stopped drinking as a show of support when my wife got pregnant a few years ago and I never really started up again... I don't miss it at all...

It's strange because I go out with other writers on the road all the time and there are definitely some who think I'm passing judgment on them because I choose not to drink. Truthfully, I could not possibly care less if they drink or not, but there's no question that it makes some people very uncomfortable. I've had guys thrust drinks in my hand before and I've ordered Diet Cokes and asked the bartender to put it in a smaller glass with a stirring straw to make the alcoholics I'm hanging with feel better...

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One negative is that you will probably never be able to get an interview with Jake Scott.

12. I went five years, just to prove to myself I could do it. I came back to it a little and found that I'd learned how to moderate.
    One of the things that AA's right about is the One Day At A Time thing. Just don't drink today if you don't want to.

Draft saved Draft deleted