1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting social media

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Nov 8, 2017.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I’ve got a friend in a small town who uses Facebook posts for everything. Gets rides. Orders pizza. Finds out what’s on TV tonight. He just posts, “Can anyone pick up a roasted chicken from Superstore and bring it by? I’ll pay you plus $5.” And it happens. I am always amused at how he turned one app into all the apps and then some.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    YankeeFan likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Is there a setting where you can eliminate every single Facebook quiz that "99 percent will fail" but that, in fact, 100 percent pass?

Friend was boasting last night about getting 25/25 on a grammar quiz that only "4 percent score 25/25 on". I took it, scored 25/25 of course. Took it again, changed half my answers, still scored 25/25.

This shit is far more dangerous than Russian bots. It actually makes idiots think they're geniuses.

HC and YankeeFan like this.
  3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I follow Twitter all day for my job, but will probably leave it be once I don’t need it. It’s a good way to diversify your news intake if you are careful, but as much as I think I have a handle on it, there are days when it gets overwhelming. I’m fine with reading things I fervently disagree with, and I accept the idiocy that many of my fellow humans can display from time to time. But once in a while a matter-of-fact “mic drop” statement, a big pet peeve of mine, will just crawl under my skin and take me out of real life for a few minutes.

Also, I need to be on Twitter to monitor my employees’ use. Definitely agree with DD that it is a pain in the ass for bosses.

Lugnuts and FileNotFound like this.
  4. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Facebook just reminded me today that I've been on FB for 9 years now. Except for the political bullshit ... and I"ve defriended people on both sides of the aisle ... I find it useful to keep up with family, friends, college roommates, etc. While I was working, I didn't have a Twitter account since I managed both of our sports Twitter feeds and I could follow whomever I liked. When I retired, I set up my own, but I use it only for scores and to follow people I used to work with and a few others. I have tweeted maybe 10 times in 2 years and still managed to get 75 followers!

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Might as well put it here as anywhere. Amends.

Clearly there are some posters here who feel I've insulted or bigfooted them. If that's so, then I apologize. Truly.

I've also never asked for anything here, under any name or handle, on any topic, to be scrubbed or expunged because of something I posted.

I think the thread in question was mopped up because I was outed. That said, this was nine years and at least two handles ago and I'm not the only one missing from it. The fellas who kept outing me there are all missing, too.

Bygones to them and to you all.

Anyway, I honestly did come back to see how I respond to the usual push/pull here; the call and response wisecracks and the mutually assured destruction of the politics thread and my own habit of last-wordism.

Social media makes internet tough guys of everyone, and that's its failing. There's no real consequence for being an ass.

So again, and sincerely, if I've ever made any of you feel bad, I'm sorry.

Thanks.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't think you've done anything wrong to anybody, and have in fact done so much right, and I really hope you stick around here. Don't let the judgment of the resident loon make you think any of the rest of us think otherwise.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not sure this is helpful, or in the spirit of Az’s post.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Don't care. The guy constantly tries to make himself feel better by making better people feel worse. What he did yesterday to Az, with zero provocation, was ridiculous, and it's obviously made Az feel bad, and that's a shitty thing to do to a good person.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Which one? ;)

Dick Whitman likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And I, likewise, should have let bygones be bygones or handled it privately. This was an inappropriate forum.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I have no idea who you are and what your old handles were. I will say that I remembered you as politically obnoxious and haven't found you to be so this time around. Typing that out, it comes off a little meaner than I meant. It's a compliment.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

“For a fat girl, you sure don’t sweat much!”

SpeedTchr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted