1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting social media

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

This is the final online presence I have. Cut the cord on Twitter and Facebook two years ago. Left two other message boards I contributed to. Once I tell everybody off here in a fit of fake rage, I’ll be blissfully free. I’ve already got my old person flip phone picked out and once I ditch this iPhone once and for all here soon I’m going to live the 1992 lifestyle.

I cannot wait.

OscarMadison and I Should Coco like this.
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

DO NOT CONGRATULATE

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I gave up Twitter about 2 yrs ago. It was cool to see what people I was interested in saying but it became info overload. I don't do anything other than keep my LinkedIN account active so business wise I don't look like a total clown.

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I finally figured out how to wipe off the newsfeeds on my MSN startup page. Once upon a time, it was a nice conduit to interesting stories. Then it was all Trump all the time. There's still too much Trump and the stories are truncated bullet-pointed cheat sheets, so I womaned up and tinkered with it until now it's my most-used links and a pretty picture from Bing.

Twitter is for keeping up with friends, vegan stuff, Anglican stuff, and science. I made some friends in Italy at the beginning of the pandemic. We share music, movies, books, and they have two cats who are living la vida Pinky and the Brain. I will welcome my feline overlords when they finally succeed.

Facebook is friends, pets, Anglican stuff, art, vegan stuff, movies, and music.

I have my own website that I natter on. I think there are five people who consistently read what I have to say about sports bras for nine-year-olds, art supplies, and mental health.

I have accounts on LinkedIn, Instagram, and Pinterest. They're all horribly out of date. Unless Boston Dynamics has made a new cute video, I really can't be bothered with tech.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is what I found. I still have my Twitter account, but I never look at it anymore (and should just get rid of it). Ditto my LinkedIn account, which hasn't been updated since I opened it. I use Facebook just because it is a good, easy way to stay in touch with family, friends and acquaintances whom I don't usually see otherwise, and also because there are several very helpful and informative closed, associate-driven Walmart pages that I participate in in order to find out about things, ask questions, get feedback, and just keep connected with my work place on a large scale.

Other than that, the only place you'll still see me regularly is here. And, occasionally, I still check in at ObesityHelp, a wealth of information and a source of community for those who have undergone weight-loss surgery, or who are just fighting weight issues otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

My sister is tagging me in her WHY IS DR. SEUSS GETTING CANCELED screeds and my wife is responding to her, so deleting all social media apps sounds pretty good to me at the moment.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I feel bad that Disney was cancelled over Song of the South. Did they ever recover?

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Nope. Parks had to close and everything.

OscarMadison and Scout like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted