1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting social media

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Nov 8, 2017.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Are you saying there were posts here that are no longer here?

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Shhhhhhhhhh. You'll spook the spirits.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I had a very bland post deleted. Not sure why.

@The Big Ragu can you lend some insight here?

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The anticipation is killing me.

I hope it lasts.

5. YankeeFan

I guess we don't deserve answers.

Seems disrespectful to me.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

7. YankeeFan

Following up on the tweet she posted.

8. How I use social media has changed dramatically in the last year.

FACEBOOK: Used to post all the time. Now? Maybe once or twice a month. My feed is dreadfully boring, which I suppose is an indictment of my friends who overshare about their children and their political views.
    TWITTER: I still love the platform, warts and all. It's my primary area for news gathering, and I only follow folks who entertain me.
    I also use it for professional idea sharing.
    INSTAGRAM: Using it more. But the only reason I post is so I can look back at my photos and have a timeline for happy memories.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've recently started following people I know on Twitter - previously just followed news sites. I'm amazed at what people put "out there" for public consumption on Facebook and Twitter. Really personal stuff that I would want to keep only people I truly knew and would be comfortable telling them in person. Maybe it's my time in newspapers that I have greater respect for what I put out there. My general rule is don't post anything you can't defend in an A1 story on the NYT, or in a future Senate confirmation hearing (if it ever happens).

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I just looked at my Facebook page. For a while I had Instagram set up so posts were also sent to Facebook. Outside of those, I have made exactly one post on Facebook in the past two years. I used to pretty much live on there.

Don’t understand people who post personal stuff on Twitter. My son has a friend who constantly posts whiny, angry complaints about him girlfriend. Dude is in his mid 20s. Not a good look. I don’t think I’ve ever put one iota of my personal life on Twitter.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I left Facebook for about a year over their stated policy of allowing false politically advertising. And because I grew up with many, many who turned out to be deep in to conspiracy theories.

Went back after the election was settled, mostly for family and close friends stuff.

I didn’t miss it when I was off. And barely go there now.

Twitter is mostly for work, breaking news and some funny stuff. But it’s a damn cesspool. I could definitely see quitting if it’s not a work tool.

IG is all pets and fun stuff for me. No politics allowed.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The crazy thing with Twitter is I can see people putting stuff out there to their followers, but when those followers retweet stuff, your business is out there to everyone.
    I do think social media is great to keep track of distant friends. Just found out an old colleague of mine was named his local chapter's "Big Brother of the Year" - the video had me tearing up. Have another friend who helps foster rescue greyhounds and posts about them. Nice to know there is good in the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted