1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jan 6, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You're in denial.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know it isn't the point you were making, but it is different in one small regard. The social drinker (not an alcoholic) is not doing something that has been proven conclusively to be bad for his health. In fact, a lot of study has shown that societies where a glass of wine with dinner or a drink a day actually has health benefits -- moderate drinkers live longer, areless likely to suffer strokes, diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, and several major cancers.

There are no known positive health effects from smoking cigarettes, occasionally or regularly. It's quite the opposite.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

A lot of "social drinkers" regularly consume amounts of alcohol that are anything but healthy. But they also are not affected by alcohol the way an alcoholic would be. In that sense, Ragu, there's more equivalency.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't think whatever sensory joy it provides is something a non-smoker could ever understand. And I don't presume to understand the pleasure a crack addict gets from his habit. We're all wired differently.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Thanks for the input, OOP.

Anyway, Herbert, you make a very reasoned point. Non-smokers (and even some smokers) find it so strange that I like the taste of a good cigarette (Foreign cigarettes and Camel Turkish Royals for me). Some smokers find it weird that I'm very preferential about brands and won't smoke that Parliament Light or Camel Filter.

We do what we do for our own reasons. Smoking is unhealthy, and I wish the best for you in your quest to quit, Creosote. I'll let you have your thread.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I grew up around it and surrounded by it. I just don't ever remember it bothering me. Not that it isn't unpleasant. But I guess I was conditioned to its foulness at an early age. I can remember my mother taking me back to school after an orthodontist appointment and the teachers asking me if I'd been smoking. This just from being in the car. I never gave a shit, I was a respectful smoker who never gave a shit if I was being judged poorly for it, and I am not ashamed of having borne the habit. Smoking got me through seven years of school and a lot of good and bad stuff before, during and after. It was just time. Twenty years of anything is too much.

Good luck to all who feel captive. You can do it.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I am serious in that when you're 13 or 14 the potential harm may not seem real in a way it does when you're older. It doesn't surprise me when people start smoking in their teens. It DOES surprise me when I meet someone who started in their 20's or 30's.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I would say the number of adults over 25 who pick up smoking out of the blue is pretty minimal. That's a around the time we stop feeling invincible, generally speaking. Most start in middle/high school. And Nick, the point was not that they don't know the effects. It's that as teenagers they don't care. I know when I started that my parents would tell me how hard it was to quit. I scoffed at that notion, thinking I could quit at any time. Not quite that easy, as it turns out.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Good news:

http://www.theonion.com/video/surgeon-general-smoking-fine-as-long-as-you-only-d,26936/

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Now you're finally getting it. :D

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The comparison to a crack addict getting his fix kinda fits my argument, but I agree with Versatile. That's why I stayed away from this one for a bit. We were getting way off point.

12. Have you considered Uncle Buck's 5-year plan?

Draft saved Draft deleted