1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jan 6, 2012.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Quitting is for losers.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Get coffee and beer flavored e-cigs. Win win!

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Might as well give up coffee and beer too!

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm happy for anyone who quits. I know how addictive it can be because both of my parents and at one point five of my seven brothers and sisters smoked (one still does).

That said, I still find it astonishing that anyone under the age of, let's say, 50, every took it up in the first place. There's been a ton of information on the dangers. Everyone got hammered with it in health class in junior high and high school. I get it that older people started before the Surgeon General's first warnings in 1964.

But how could smart, college-educated people go near a cigarette from the 1970s on?

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Because they started when they were stupid teenagers to whom nothing bad could ever happen.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We all do stuff we know we shouldn't do.

I was a teenager in the 1980s, so I am in my early 40s. There was plenty of info then saying, "Those things are addictive and they kill people."

So even when I was a teenager, I had it in my head that the best way to keep from getting addicted was to never even try a single cigarette. It just seemed logical to me. I have never even had one puff.

I'm about as judgmental as anyone when I see people smoking--really judgmental, particularly because of the societal costs. But the thing I have no clue about is how hard it is to kick an addiction. I have never walked an inch those shoes, so even though I agree with Hondo about not understanding why anyone would ever even tries a cigarette, I do sympathize when someone who already made that mistake decides to stop and they find it difficult.

Good luck. About the only thing I have (and I don't mean to it to be trite) is that the things most worth doing are often not very easy.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

How about e-beer?

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

In my case, it wasn't even that. I genuinely like smoking on occasion. It's a drug, remember? Nicotine does help cut the edge on stress a little and it gives someone like me, who doesn't smoke regularly, a nice little head buzz. It's also especially effective while drinking.

Every cigarette supposedly takes away a chunk of your life. But I lived my life, particularly up until the last two years, taking tons of risks. I rarely smoke now, and I rarely get very drunk. And I guess I try to eat healthier, sort of.

I'm not justifying smoking here. And I, too, have never been addicted and don't know what it's like to quit. I imagine it's horrible. But I am saying that there are logical reasons to smoke, even if they admittedly are outweighed by the logical reasons not to smoke.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey another thread in which hondo is smarter and better than everyone else. The irony is suffocating.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

E-cigs don't impress chicks?

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sorry. Had to be done. :)

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Most of us were not smart, college-educated people when we started doing stupid stuff like this. I started before I was in high school. Just like anyone in the 50s or 60s did, most people started because of peer pressure, to impress chicks, or even because they liked it. I'm pleased that you have lived the perfect life, but most of us are not so fortunate.

Draft saved Draft deleted