1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jan 6, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My electronic cigarette has arrived, and I will start using it once that fucker gets charged up. They're pretty cool, actually. And the nicotine cartridges come in all different flavors. I went with vanilla and coffee for now. Figure I'll use the e-cig for a few weeks or months, then try to get completely off nicotine once I'm used to not actually smoking tobacco anymore. And, hopefully the ladies like a Creosote who smells like vanilla better than a Creosote who smells like cigarettes. ;)

I'm only starting this thread because I want someplace to bitch if this quitting attempt gets miserable, which I'm sure it will. And, I won't turn down any words of encouragement. :p

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Vanilla and coffee? Why don't you just get a hookah?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good luck with the quitting and the ladies and all, though.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had an e-cigarette once. But the lighter melted it.

So I'm back to the old standard.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Add Chantix or Wellbutrin to your quitting strategy when you're ready to kick it for good. Both work.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I wouldn't mess with Chantix. The depression and anxiety side effects are pretty overpowering.

My sister-in-law gave me hers when she got pregnant. I used it for about four days before discarding it. Never felt that sort of gloom.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I used it without any problem. Like most drugs, side effects can be pretty specific to body or brain chemistry. I'd at least go through the options with my doctor.

Quitting's hard, and usually takes more than one try. It's worth arming yourself with whatever works.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

One of the things you realize after you go without for a while is that you are f-ing stronger and better than this, and probably were all along. You were deceived into thinking this is your friend, and that you are inseparable. The smokes were always a great charmer.

When I made it through my youngest sister's wedding without a smoke, and everyone and their grandma was smoking outside that reception hall, I knew I was in the clear.

You will notice immediate changes. Your body begins to regenerate itself, practically at the cellular level. Check out your skin in week two and check it out again in week 12. Everything tastes better. Beer tastes like a million bucks. You might sneeze a lot. That means your lungs and sinuses are reasserting their natural powers.

9. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

MC, godspeed. Having lost two people close to me to lung cancer within a month of each other, one being my mom, I'm always heartened to hear of people giving up smoking. You can do it!

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Went cold turkey from 2 1/2 packs a day 18 years ago. Nothing noble about it -- usually smoked right through bronchitis but simply could not get the smoke down that time. After a few days, I figured the most difficult part was done, and it was. Still get odd cravings out of the blue; they pass. Watching my dad die from smoking-caused emphysema years later was not very pleasant, either.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Used the patch and quit the nicotine for almost 4 years. First few days (and even weeks) were very, very tough, but the patches helped. Once I got past that I could be around friends/family without a worry. Then I dated a girl who smoked, and sitting out chatting with her over some beers when she would come by, I picked it up again. Stupidest decision I've made in a long time. Hope to be quitting again real soon. Good luck, MC! It definitely could take a few tries, but once you commit, you can do it.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This brings up an important point: If you successfully quit, I think you effectively rule out dating a smoker unless you're willing to start again. I can't imagine any former addict being able to date a smoker and not start back up again. It's the smell in her hair. It's having to stand out in the cold and keep her company while she smokes. It's sitting in the smoking section of a restaurant (if you still live in a place that has those).

I've been an infrequent, never more than a pack a week type since I was a senior in high school. I go through long stretches without smoking. I go through long stretches where I smoke that pack a week. I mostly will smoke occasionally when someone has the brand I prefer. (At this point, Camel Turkish Royal is basically all I'll smoke, cigars excluded.) It's entirely based on the company I keep. When I've dated someone at the time who smokes, I smoke. (Admittedly, I've only dated one smoker.) I never smoke around a girlfriend who doesn't smoke, though, even if I smoke occasionally with friends when she's not around.

Draft saved Draft deleted