1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting because you didn't get promoted.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Jun 23, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wait, Farmer J is a gal?
    I got to start paying closer attention.
    Anyway, quit.
    Or at least give notice and see what happens.
    If you can do retail and live in say a medium sized city or college town, then you can get another job in retail. It may not pay as much, at first, but at least you'll be happier.
    If you give notice and they make moves to make you happier, it is a win, win.
    If they say don't let the doorknob hit you in the ass on the way out the door, then they didn't want you around in the first place and you were passed over in a move to get you pissed and out.
    Regardless, best of luck in what happens next.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This is retail, not Microsoft. The hiring practices aren't particularly stringent. I don't know why you would be shocked to see somebody incompetent put in a position of responsibility. Maybe it just comes down to the fact that he asked first.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Good point. Elevation of cretins to positions of authority is how retail rolls.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

There's no stopping the cretins from hopping.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You want to quit because you didn't get promoted (when you hadn't even expressed interest in the job) or because the jackass got promoted? What if someone other than you and the jackass got promoted?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not our fault if you fellas can't manage cretinous behavior.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Cretin hopping is immoral and unnatural.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ya gotta be a cretin
    if you wanna keep eatin

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's what I don't get, crying about not getting a job you didn't ask for.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Keep the job until you find a new one.

Then upper deck this asshole on your last day.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I would stay. It's not really the fact that I got passed over, it's the kid that I don't feel I can work under without precious bits of my sanity slipping away (and it's not like I had that much to begin with). I didn't even have a chance to throw my hat into the ring until after I had already found out that this kid was offered the position, though I have expressed that I'd be intrested in this position if it became open in the past.

I had a long talk with my boss today and in a nutshell this is what happened. Nobody was supposed to know about this new management position, but someone told someone and yada yada yada.

Basically she said that if I want to show her I'm a true leader than I'll stick it out untill the position opens up again.

I'm going job hunting all day on Thursday. It's not worth having panic attacks and worrying over. It's only retail. My boss knows how I feel, I told her I was planning on staying at this job for years as opposed to someone who was ready to bounce by the end of the summer.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I say suck it up, farmerj. Sanity is way overrated anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted