1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting because you didn't get promoted.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Jun 23, 2008.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Hi kids, it's your favorite in-need-of-advice-gal FarmerJ here, looking for some help.

Recently the store that I for decided to extend hours, thus creating an opening for another management position.

I was about to throw my hat into the ring with the boss when I overheard another kid saying asking what would happen if he took the position. Several hours later he had the store keys on his arm.

Now keep in mind your favorite in-need-of-advice-gal isn't perfect, but I spent half of the day crying about being passed over. Over the past few months this kid (and by kid I mean 20-year-old) has had a total change in attitude -- and not for the better. He fell in love with his best friend (who also works with us) and has been a downright prick recently.

He has his phone on the floor and is texting his friend dozens, if not hundreds of times per day. Last Wednesday we were expecting the regional vice president in and the store had to look tip-toppity. He tried to call in and admitted to a manager that he was calling in because his friend wasn't on the schedule.

Needless to say when he got promoted I was floored. I've done things out of anger before but tonight I was in pure shock. I honestly couldn't concentrate because the thought of working under this pre-schooler for months made me physically ill.

My plan is to work until July 30 when my vaction renews, take the payout, cash in my vacation and christmas clubs and live on that while I find a new job.

So friends, am I doing the right thing? Have you ever quit because of being passed over? Should I set this kid on fire? Go play in traffic?

P.S. I'm not the only one ready to turn in my notice because of this new promotion.
  2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Work until you find the other job.
  3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sleep on it.
    Tomorrow, go to the store manager and ask why the kid got the job arbitrarily without others being offered a chance to apply for it. Wait for the answer.
    Sleep on it.
    Wednesday, after getting a response you and others have had a chance to digest, then do what you need to do.
  4. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

I'd continue working there until you have a new job in hand.

Having said that, I'd document everything. Try to address concerns with this young manager in a professional way first. If that doesn't go well, then follow the proper channels in reporting any complaints.

Have you talked with the powers that be and asked them why you weren't considered for the position?

But I'd definitely be looking for a new job so you can get out of there.
  5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Management never ceases to amaze me. I say tell the kid to play in traffic, then cash out.

The one time I quit a job on site, I told the managing supervisor -- a total idiot who only got the promotion because I gave it up for an upcoming move (it was a second job) -- to fist himself. He then followed me outside and wanted to fight. It was a glorious feeling.

Whatever you do, FJ, make it memorable. Nothing beats the feeling of driving off the property for the last time, with a smile on your face.
  6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ah Mike, how much I would enjoy doing that but in these wonderful economic times I need the reference.

I've already had a run with the kid today. I called my manager to say I needed to go home (I was blubbering at this point) and he answered. This is how the conversation went.

Douchebag: What do you need?
    Me: To talk with Lisa.
    Doucheback: I'm taking the call.
    Me: Good bye ass-hat (I really did say his name, but this is funnier). [/click]

I didn't plan on doing that but I was so upset the words just came out of my mouth. This is why I think I should quit while I'm ahead -- so I don't get fired. Honest to god I've never been this shaken up over a job situation in my life.

I don't think talking to management will do any good since he's already been accepted the promotion. Plus, my manager is off on Tuesdays.

My closest friend at the store is also the manager's best friend (how freaking dramatic, I know). She's going to call her tonight and bitch up a storm -- basically because she can.
  7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

In today's job world, I would never quit a job unless I had another one securely in hand.

Your Christmas Club and vacation will only last so long. If you have difficulty finding another job, then you're screwed, because you wouldn't be eligible for unemployment, since you quit.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hot Topic?
  9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not exactly. You can claim you quit because of a hostile environment and had no choice but to quit.
  10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

See, mine was a second full-time job I was going to leave in two months. I was going to leave the first one, too, but I needed that one -- a writing job -- for my next gig. I would have felt a lot better telling my publisher to fist himself. But I'm not that brave.

I'd start looking now, so you can hand in your notice as soon as possible, so long as the job really isn't worth the hassle.
  11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I gotta agree with the others on this thread.
    It's always harder to find a job when you don't have one. Plus, it takes its toll on you emotionally.
    Find a new gig, then tell the ass-hat to go fist himself = )
  12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Well, yea, but it would still be more difficult to collect because the employer would fight it and you may not see any money until it's resolved.
Draft saved Draft deleted