1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quite possibly the worst Jay Mariotti column since F**-Gate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I can't decide what's worse -- him saying the Sox haven't looked this lethargic since 1919 (How would he know? It was more than 40 years before he was born); the Patti LaBelle lyrics throughout the column; or him calling Chicago media "sheep" for not ripping Guillen at every opportunity like he does. The highlights and link are below

Sox unplugged a sorry act

Reinsdorf, Williams and Guillen have allowed '05 Series champs to spin out of control, from ugly play on field to bad table manners

June 14, 2007
    BY JAY MARIOTTI Sun-Times Columnist

I wish we could punish the Capital Grille pottymouths by making them dress in cabaret lingerie, like the women from ''Moulin Rouge.'' They could do the cancan while belting out a Patti LaBelle routine to be preserved on YouTube forevermore:

''Gitchi Gitchi Ya Ya Da Da!
    ''Gitchi Gitchi Ya Ya Here!''

Sing it, A.J.

But I'm afraid the White Sox are beyond apologetic gestures, whether they're offending Ms. LaBelle's entourage with their salty language in a fancy Philadelphia steakhouse or playing some of the worst baseball in the major leagues since last summer. Seems the Sox are showing more spark while having dinner in mixed company than when they're playing ballgames. And if you sense they're lying down, I'll suggest the last time this club looked so underachieving and flat was in the 1919 World Series.

I can't think of any media members who will call out the Blizzard. He has a cult of defenders who love his sound bites, especially when he's attacking enemies, but Ozzie's sheep invariably look the other way when he isn't getting the job done. I suppose a manager deserves several years of rope after winning the Series. And I'm not -- repeat, not -- even remotely suggesting he be fired. But Guillen is not doing a good job right now, by any baseball standard, and remembering how Reinsdorf eventually tired of Gene Lamont and Jerry Manuel after their success, you wonder how long Guillen will stick around if non-contending seasons are ahead.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/427685,CST-SPT-jay14.article

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I love how he uses pottymouths as an insult. I believe Morrissey made fun of him for that a few weeks ago.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. You know, I felt bad for the guy when he had his heart problem, but he's a fucking clown

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That's embarrassingly bad.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Nicely played, Starman.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe he can follow this up in his next visit to the clubhouse...

8. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

I love the odd mention of "YouTube" in that column. It practically screams, "Look kids, I'm Jay Mariotti! I'm cool and with it and hip and fly and all that."

9. All that having been said, Guillen really is turning into a freak show.

10. I'm shocked a stable and even-keel guy like Joey Cora hasn't had a greater influence in the clubhouse.

11. Diet Pepsi

Diet Pepsi New Member

Not defending the entire column or the use of that forum for doing it - it should be handled privately - but I'm guessing that the last section of the column, about Guillen's defenders and enablers in the media, was a shot across the bow at Mariotti's own beat writer. In fact, if I was a betting man, I'd bet the house on that.

12. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Why, is he not bringing Jay his quotes to use fast enough? Mariotti creeps me out. It's just like on ATH - he seems so proud to vie for the honor of being the monkey who can fling the most poo.

Draft saved Draft deleted