1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quite possibly the greatest prank ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Ray Romano was beat down by Deborah every episode.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My inner 20 something laughed at the whole thing.

I sent it to my kids at university and told 'em, "Beat that, guys". :)

It's adolescent and sophmoric but hey, that's what happens before you actually grow up.

3. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Maybe, but it seriously fucks with a girl's head more than almost anything I can imagine. From the point he says, "I don't want to fucking marry you," she's probably got this intense and unstoppable stream of self-doubt, etc, that probably won't stop running long after she learned its a prank. Maybe they're still together, maybe she helped on other pranks, but screwing around with someone's self worth is a little beyond the call of prankish duty.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, but it would be pretty hard not to be offending by "I don't want to fucking marry you," right after she had said yes. I feel bad for her, but she knows there's a prank war going on. She became collateral damage.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Guarantee, some time in the next week, an argument gets ended with, "So... do you think you'll ever want to, quote, fucking marry me, un-quote?"

That said, hopefully the next prank will involve a credit rating bottoming out or maybe possession of crack cocaine. Don't reach for the soap, Amir.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Side note: His comment wasn't part of the prank. And don't you think it's good she knows that now rather than dating him for another three years before finding out, if that was the end goal for her?

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Scroll to the bottom of the interview and watch Prank War 5.

It's even better. Amir looked like he was gonna cry.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I've never been a big fan of public humiliation humor. Never quite understood why people think Punk'd was such good television. Guess we're all voyeurs in some capacity. If the girl was in on it, then it's ok, although she still gets decked with the "I don't want to fucking marry you" line whether she's a part of the prank or not. If she wasn't, and after watching the clip I'm going to say I don't think she was, then it's just too harsh. By agreeing to marry someone, you're pretty much opening yourself up to total humiliation in your most vulnerable state. Getting proposed to is kind of like losing your emotional virginity. No one should get tricked into it. You want it to be special. And even if it happens "for real" down the road with the right person, it's still sort of harsh that the first time turned out to be a wiseass joke. I don't really buy the "she's with this guy, so she's fair game because she knows there is a prank war going" argument either. My wife loves me, and I still don't think she should have to be "collateral damage" in some of the stupid shit I've done in life. I guess it comes down to your feelings on marraige proposals. If you sort of half-assed yours, and didn't really put much thought into it, and it wasn't all that important to you or your spouse, then you probably thought this was funny. If you sort of look back at yours as a pretty seminal moment in your life, and it was something you really wanted to be important, then maybe this isn't so funny.

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I agree with HockeyBeat. The Yankee Stadium thing ended up being more of a prank on Streeter's girlfriend.

The way to do it would be to involve the girlfriend, who would jump around and scream "We're getting married!" to the crowd. Really put Streeter on the spot.

But watch Prank War 5 to see Amir take his lumps. Big-time.

I read a book about great college pranks, "If At All Possible, Involve a Cow."

No surprise that the pranksters at Cal Tech are true professionals.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I started to look at the other pranks and read what I could on the prank war, perhaps to satisfy in my mind whether this was legit and how much, if any, culpability the girl had in any of the other pranks, and then I realized ... life's too short for me to give a rat's ass what these people blow $500 on to one-up each other. I can't believe I gave it as much thought as I did earlier today.

Greatest prank ever? Maybe on some level, but if it indeed was real, the kid who executed it, while clearly a male, is not a man but a punk and a coward. If he knows his buddy well enough to pull this kind of prank on him, he knows his buddy would not marry the girl. Having three sisters and knowing how much that would have hurt and humiliated the girl at the moment she realized it wasn't a real proposal, I'd like to slap the little shit myself.

Real prank or staged, though, I've wasted my last thought on him and his prank war.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The whole idea of it is pretty funny, in a skit. But these are just two flaming assholes.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is an age demarcation line for thinking this prank was either the funniest in history or a prime example of a cruel and mean-spirited idea?

I bet the generation X-ers and under love it; the rest of us who were raised with some tact, some respect for others, and some understanding that a good society has rules and limits to public behavior will think this "stunt" is a despicable act perpetrated by a self-centered, attention-craving asshole -- not unlike most of his classmates and friends, no doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted