1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quit smoking support group

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Mar 3, 2007.

1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I smoked in college and some after that. Then halfway through grad school, I quit.

Twelve years later, I'm on a month-long hash-and-ectasy-fueled jaunt through Spain and Morocco. It starts again.

I quit a few times. Trouble is, my live-in girlfriend didn't. When I went to visit her mom in San Diego, her step dad lit one Marlboro Light 100 off the other. Sumbitch even had an ashtray bolted to his treadmill.

Finally, I decide to quit. All patch, all the time. No turning back. No taking off the patch to have a smoke. No rewarding myself for not smoking by smoking. One puff is one too many. I soldered through it. No more Marlboro Miles for me.

Keep in mind, I did this after buying a house with my girlfriend. A month after I quit, I started remodeling the house. We lived through the remodel. But our relationship did not.

The relationship ended after about five years. The remodeling ends next week, week 55 of this phase of the project. One of the big reasons we broke up: her smoking. I couldn't live with it any more. I couldn't go to a bed with a woman whose hair and body wreaked.

So what happens now? I have to buy her out of the house (her share, plus interest) and then do a re-fi, after the house is reappraised. Then she moves out; perhaps she'll move in with her new boyfriend, Martin. I met him when I walked into the house and caught him fucking her in my bed (his cock is significantly smaller than mine, btw).

I've also been working, writing my ass off. Filling in for three writers over a three-month period. Working on my personal stuff. Big deadlines. I normally go to bed at two a.m. The workers come in and start working at 7 a.m.

Number of puffs I've had: ZERO. Mother fucking zero.

Eat a dick, Joe Camel.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

All I have to say is kick ass west coast, kick ass! Keep it up! Oh yeah if you feel the need to kick something kick Martin in his face or your ex. Whichever you so chose. Again kick ass!

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I didn't have a cigarette for 8 months last year using the patch. I might bum one here and there, so I cheated a little. Then around last November, I suspected my girlfriend was cheating on me and I was highly stressed out. We both were. On Thanksgiving, after we got back home from my folks, she says wanna go outside and shows me a pack of Marlboro Menthol 100s. Of course, I go out there and we light up. Funny thing is, my girlfriend wasn't a smoker at all. I asked why she had smokes and she said to help relieve her stress. After she finished that pack in a couple of days, she bought another one. So did I. Been smoking ever since.
    After that second pack, she quit. I kept going of course. Couple weeks later, she tells me she's moving out. I find out that she was cheating on me and is moving into a new place with her new boyfriend - who happens to smoke Marlboro Menthol 100s.

I wanna quit badly. I have a box of patches on top of the fridge that I bought a couple weeks ago. I haven't tried to quit yet because I'm not in the correct mindframe. I know I would fail if I tried right now. It's one of the many things I'm depressed about.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

That's a sad ass story. Getting you hooked on the same kind of butts her new man smokes. What kind of fucked up shit is that? Damn bitches. No offense to all you classy girls out there.

5. kokane_muthashed

Actaully, I went back to my old brand. But the fact that she did singlehandedly knock me off the wagon is bad enough. I talked to her couple weeks ago and she asked if I was still smoking. I said yeah. She said, "Oh, sorry about that. I kinda feel like that's my fault." No shit, you stupid bitch, I thought.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Man that's cold as fuck. At least you went back to your old brand. Reading stories like yours just makes me hate women more. I like looking at them. After that all bets are off. I'm sure she loved the fact that she knocked you off the wagon. When she said it was her fault what did you say back?

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

WestCoast, it sounds like it might have been more than the cigarettes that were making your ex wreak in bed.

I'm glad that you were able to get through it without a smoke. You should reward yourself somehow. Same with you Kokane, skip a day or two and then reward yourself.

Think about what you could buy with that $20 you spend every week on smokes. Indulge. I'm partial to European chocolates, but you might buy a new CD or wait a month and buy a nice pair of sneakers.

I had a rough night. My wife fixed some huge homemade Italian subs. There was ham, Genoa salami, pepperoni, pastrami and provolone on a loaf of Italian bread. And I had a great marinara dipping sauce. She couldn't believe I ate the whole sandwich, which was about half of the loaf stuffed with an inch-thick bunch of meat. I was a little surprised as well. I woke at 1 a.m. with terrible heartburn. I nearly vomited.

The good news is that I think I made it over the hump. I expect to sleep in on Sunday, and I think I'll feel pretty good after that. I plan to get back on the health kick that was working so well back in December.

Remember, whenever you want a smoke, please come on here first and talk about it.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Here, here Heineken Man. And damn that sounds like a tasty samich up until the heartburn that is.

9. HeinekenMan

It is a good sandwich. You just drop it in the oven and let it all congeal together. We had it for a Super Bowl a few years ago, and our friends were envious. They're plain Jane folks. I think they made burgers and brats, and they were asking question after question about the glorious-smelling thing cooking in their oven.

By the way, I've mentioned this before...I did pretty well one time by sucking on Root Beer Barrels. You can pick up a bunch at the grocery store, usually in the bulk candy section, that area where you scoop it out into bags.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I hear you on the root beer barrels although I end up chewing tons of gums (as evidence by the numerous pieces in my garbage can at work) or eating lifesavers.

Def not a plain Jane here. I got Eagles season tix and we're surrounded by people making hamburgers and hot dogs. Then I pull out the 20 oz. ribeyes I get at Sam's and everyone's mouths drop. But that sounds like one good samich. I'm about to hit a diet next week. I might have to give it a shot before I get on the wagon.

11. kokane_muthashed

I think my exact quote was, "Well, yeah, it kinda is."

12. HeinekenMan

Wow. So you eat steak while listening to such classics as New Kid In Town and Hotel California?

;-)

If you make the sandwich, I highly recommend that you find a little can of Presto! Italian Dip sauce. I think it's made by Frei Fratelli or something like that. I find it mixed in with the spaghetti sauce at Publix. It's good stuff. It's thick and has a sweet taste.

Draft saved Draft deleted