1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quit smoking support group

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Mar 3, 2007.

1. KG

KG Active Member

That's amazing! I'm so glad to hear this.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

You can do it! It sounds like you're really committted, and having time to prepare and having something to take the edge off the cravings will help a lot.

3. KG

KG Active Member

I'm one of those people that quit smoking, but still smokes when drinking. I can't help it, it just makes the drinking better somehow. However, when I get frustrated, it makes me want to smoke. I've been frustrated for a week now, and I find myself wanting to smoke. I'm not going to, because then every time I get mad I'll make an excuse to smoke, but I wish I had a safer vice to turn to when I'm frustrated or angry.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5 days without one for me although I almost bought a pack yesterday. Resisted the urge, though, and ate a chocolate bar.

5. KG

KG Active Member

If a transmission would magically find it's way to me, I'd give up smoking while drinking for two years. But that's not going to happen, so when I have my days off this week, I'm getting hammered, and I'm going to smoke.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Songbird. Don't do that again. Grab an apple, orange, anything but that candy bar.

7. KG

KG Active Member

Yeah, don't try to say that to someone at the moment when they've settled for something else, rather than smoke a cigarette. You'll likely find that the stand-in vice is about to get shoved somewhere unpleasant.

8. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Also, get up and do something. A chore around the house, take a walk, etc. That's the easiest way to fight off the oral fixation, and it takes your mind not only off efforting to buy the product, but actually using it.

That's my two cents. Every now and again I still have the urge (not cigarettes, but smokeless tobacco), and I find that works.

9. KG

KG Active Member

Sometimes when I really want one, I go for a quick walk. If I'm at work, I hit the stairs for as many flights as time and my lungs allow. Maybe I just have a fixation for making my lungs hurt or have to work harder.

10. Songbird

I worked the candy bar off this morning with 90 minutes of cardio.

11. KG

KG Active Member

The next time you should eat my cookies. I'll send you some.

12. Songbird

I'm sure your cookies will give me energy to help produce Parker.

Draft saved Draft deleted