1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quit smoking support group

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Mar 3, 2007.

1. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

Cigarettes are awesome and I miss them every day. I forget who said the following line but it's great, "Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it a 100 times."

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

For me, there are triggers that I have to avoid. I'm reading a western book at the moment, and the guys light up a smoke to set almost every scene. Then there are the TV smokers. Of course, there's the after-dinner cigarette. Nothing beats that. And the morning smoke, that first one that fills you with the nicotine is nice, too.

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

What about the after sex one, that must be delicious.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I would think both are addictions and can be overcome, eventually.

5. boots

boots New Member

It's a habit and it can be broken. I believe that. I know that.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I wouldn't try to quit two things at once, unless you have a really good plan and support from your family.
    I'm glad this thread started, maybe I will try to quit for the first time in 2 years. I generally can go for a long time, but then I get cocky and think I can be one of those people that can have a couple of smokes when they drink - but I can't. I quickly start sucking down a pack a day again.
    Good luck folks.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, the morning one kills me. I like to quit smoking during the summer when I am less likely to drink coffee.

8. boots

boots New Member

That after sex one is awesome, especially when your partner wants to take a puff or your cig. Man, what a rush. Oh, back to the thread.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I actually can't drink without smoking. I've tried, and it doesn't work. If I don't have them already, I run to the store to buy a pack before I start my second beer.

If I could limit myself to smoking only after sex, I'd only smoke two per month. That wouldn't be so bad. But therein seems to be part of my reason for smoking. I think sex relieves stress. Maybe I can talk to Mrs. Heinekenman about this one.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What's up with all the cake? What, do you live in a bakery?

I'm always trying to quit. I had weened myself way down to less than half a pack a week.
    But work is a monster right now, so my smoking has been slowly increasing.
    I also can't break the connection between beer/cocktails and smoking.
    If I have a few highballs after work, I have to smoke. If I go to the lodge to play poker or shuffleboard, forget about it. I'll smoke a half a pack in an evening.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I don't regret anything, but if there is only one thing I could go back and not do it would be to not smoke. I started about 9 years ago and it's the worst decision I ever made. That said I miss you so much Parliment.

Just take it one day at a time. That's what I'm doing now. It's easy to quit something for a day, but it's almost impossible to quit forever. So every day when you wake up say to yourself, "I'm quitting smoking today." And say that every day. Before you know a week is over, then a month and so on. Good luck everyone!

12. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

For me I went out one day and played soccer. It hurt, a lot. And smoking was a big reason why. If I wanted to get back to where I once was physically, I had to stop smoking. I thought of that pain every time I thought of having a smoke. And eventually my desire for a smoke went away. The urge creeps up every now and then, but it goes away.

Draft saved Draft deleted