1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quiet time to read - where do you find it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wife: I TiVo-ed (insert show here). Do you mind if I watch it now?

Me: No problem <reaches to stack of magazines and books>.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The bathtub is a lovely place to read too.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Your wife's a big "Gray's Anatomy" fan, too, heh?

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

planes. since i stopped traveling, um, i never read anything beyond newspapers on-line and s.i. :( :eek: ???

sad but true.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That one doesn't bother me so much. But Desparate Housewives, the Apprentice, Survivor and Little People, Big World give me a couple of quality reading hours each week.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Ditto.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

well said, doc. ;D

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Daily - before I go to bed. I find there's a point in the half hour or 45 minutes I read that I start scrolling over the same three sentences five or six times, which tells me it's time to get to sleep.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

My window is right around 30 minutes. If I stop then I can fall asleep really fast. If I keep going for a little longer, I might as well keep reading for a while because I know I won't be falling asleep anytime soon.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I "read" in a magazine (can't recall which one) that if you can read while on the bike or the treadmill, then you're not working out hard enough.

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

One chapter every sit down.

12. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

I was told by a physician that if you're on the treadmill for 45 minutes at a moderate to slow speed (magazine-worthy speed, FWIW is like 3 mph on a treadmill), it's just as good for you as a really intense 15-20 minute workout. Ditto for a recumbent bike, although I forgot how the numbers translate for that as opposed to a treadmill.

Draft saved Draft deleted