1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quickie dateline question: State College or U-Park?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

The campus is technically University Park, right? Or should I use State College to avoid confusion for folks several states away?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

STATE COLLEGE, Pa.

Just like SEC gamers from the Magnolia State aren't "UNIVERSITY, Miss." or "MISSISSIPPI STATE, Miss."

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Palo Alto, not Stanford; Colorado Springs, not Air Force Academy; yet Claremont for Pomona College, which used to be in Pomona but is in Claremont.

4. Outta Here

Outta Here Guest

Go with UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- since, as you correctly pointed out, the Giant Erector Set (which looks much better these days) is a part of campus and not State College.

It's correct and if you're writing for an in-state paper, there won't be any confusion. If you're an out-of-state paper, Penn State or Lions or something will likely be in the hed, so hopefully your readers will figure it out without too much trouble.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I never figured out why the AP datelined SMU games Dallas and the DMN datelines them University Park.

6. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

I can answer the UP/Dallas question.

Highland Park and University Park are de facto cities in Dallas. They have their own city councils, their own utilities, their own school district, their own police and basically everything else you can think of.

However, they are not officially cities. On letters, things are addressed to Dallas, TX. The post office doesn't have a Highland Park or University Park in its zip code database - they're all under Dallas.

Within Dallas, if you call something on Turtle Creek or at SMU "Dallas," people will think you're dumb. But since they're not technically cities, the AP probably doesn't consider them legit for a dateline.

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Problem is Stanford is not in Palo Alto (it is surrounded by it) which is why the AP bylines it "STANFORD, Calif."

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As mentioned above, it is STANFORD, Calif. And the dateline for Air Force is AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo.

Pomona College has been in Claremont for many years.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hustle, we wrestled with this for a long time and decided to go with State College. Don't much care that University Park is the mailing address.

10. Here's a good one. Harvard, as any good Ivy wannabe knows, is in Cambridge, Mass. But its basketball gym is in Boston. Yet the Harvard SID before the game reminded out of town media to use Cambridge as the dateline.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

And I'd say sorry, we're in Boston. When I do Pistons stuff, I always file it from Auburn Hills.

12. we once double staffed some tournament game somewhere -- no idea what sport. i think i was doing the gamer, the other guy was doing a column maybe

game was played in one of those odd little towns that has a few names ... the township name, the post office, maybe the old-time village name

we both filed, went home

next day, two stories, side by side, with different datelines

Draft saved Draft deleted