1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick Yankee Stadium question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 13, 2012.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And be sure to debate where Jeter and Rivera will be placed.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that's my general rule. I rarely eat ballpark food and never drink ballpark beer. I don't like beer enough to pay that kind of money. But when we go to a park that is new to us, we like to sample one "signature" item if there is such a thing. I don't even eat hot dogs at the park that often - five bucks for a hot dog? Really? And $4.50 for a coke zero? No thanks.

You can get dogs and drinks for two bucks each right outside the gate at Nats Park. So that's what we do.

But, again, new park to us? We'll get past our usual hesitations and try something. Really isn't all that outlandish or much of a WTF moment.

We had clam chowder in a bread bowl at Safeco, pretty reasonably priced, too, at eight bucks. Cheaper outside, sure, but not as bad as I expected. We had the Quaker Steak and Lube wings at PNC Park, which were priced pretty much the same as they were at the restaurant.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As was mentioned, the stadium barbecue is popular. The Premio sausage and peppers are very good. So are the Lobel's beef sandwiches, and the sandwiches from Parm. Not sure the new stadium has a signature food line yet.

Just up the street is The Feeding Tree, beloved of budget chowhounds. www.yelp.com/biz/feeding-tree-bronx

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should keep the thread up in the event the Nats play the Skankees in the World Series.

Then again, the way the Nats have played most of the season and the way the Yankees have played this season, the statement might not need the blue font once we hit October.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Frank is just concerned that a piece of steak or nacho cheese will drop on his crisp linen slacks.

I say in for a penny / in for a pound. You already spent a lot of money to get to game, yet you are going to skimp on the cuisine. You have to live a little.

Thankfully one of things they carried over from old stadium are the sausage and pepper wedges/ hoagies / subs ( depending on where you are from). One of new things I like at new stadium are the Carl's Cheese steaks.

Stay away from the "Famous Famiglia pizza who in my mind is only famous for being the worst pizza in NYC.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree with Frank, though. I never understand buying food at the park. Just a block away from the stadium at the corner of 161st and Gerard Ave., you have Yankee Tavern. I recommend the brisket:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/cities/3-new-york/restaurants/572268-yankee-tavern/menu

On the way back down the block to the stadium, I'll pick up some peanuts and then I'll buy one beer at the game to wash them down, which is fine considering I've already had two, OK maybe three, at Yankee Tavern.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Have not had the Premio sausage at the ballyard, but I'm a fan of the brand. We have a bunch of indy Italian butchers who make their own sausage and I keep going to Premio. either to simmer for hours in sauce or to fry slowly as the onions and peppers carmelize into sludge. Just don't freeze them -- they get a bit rubbery.

8. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What a great night. We ended up not spending a cent inside the stadium. Hung out at a place called The Dugout before the game, had a blast bullshiting with some Yankees fans. Damn near decided not to even go to the game

Glad we did. Nice park, looking forward to returning today even though it will be three hundred degrees. So easy to get there and get back

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Hope the AC is working in your subway car. But is today's weather in NYC worse than the normal weather conditions you get in D.C.?

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Based on what Moddy posted on his FB yesterday I can see why he wouldn't have to spend a buck at the stadium. I am sure Moddy and Son don't need to eat for a week after that lunch.

Draft saved Draft deleted