1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick Yankee Stadium question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bing.com

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Psst ... I heard Bobby Petrino went with the google.com story. ;)

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, back to my personal google: If you have two games in Yankee Stadium, what must you eat? As my son said, is the "Ben's Chili Bowl" of Yankee Stadium? We're above first base one night, in the bleachers by the Braves' bullpen the next.

Also, is there anything around the stadium? I don't figure it is like a Fenway/Wrigley neighborhood. But should we get there at 4 and explore, hang out somewhere? Or just get there about 5:30-6 for the game?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

East 161st Street has a ton of small places. I got a nice reuben at the New Stadium gourmet deli for $7 when I went 10 days ago.

5. Moderator1

Sweet, my son and I love reubens. So it is worth while to go early?

6. Boom_70

If you have never been I would get there early for one of games and go to monument park. it opens when gate opens.

Food inside is expensive but pretty good. my favorites is Carls Steak and also Sausage and pepper.

Lots of bars outside stadium. I prefer Stan's. Others prefer the Yankee Tavern. Stan's is more raucous bar atmosphere.

7. Moderator1

Thanks gang, we'll check all this out. Keep the suggestions coming. What time do gates open? Carl's Steak sounds grand. We didn't figure it would be cheap but figured we ought to try something inside.

I suspect we'll get there early Tuesday because early Wednesday means 10-damn-am!

After the way the AL East totally owned the NL East this weekend, we're a bit less excited about the trip. But still excited. I think we'll see Hudson and Hanson pitch for the Braves.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Get there early, go to Monument Park when the gates open. That's a must.

9. Boom_70

Gates typically open 2 hours before game time. Go right to monument park . Line fills up fast

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I second that. Also recommend that you keep you hands close to your wallet and cell phone. And keep the jewelry to a minimum ie cheap watch and that's it. Enjoy your stay in NYC.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Dissenting viewpoint: No matter where I am, I prefer to eat at a regular restaurant before going to the stadium, take a peaceful dump in a clean and quiet place, and then maybe have a hot dog or two during the game. I was tempted by the Brother Jimmy's at Yankee Stadium because I used to love the place when I lived in Manhattan, but ultimately I decided I would enjoy barbecue a lot more at the restaurant than at the ballpark. So I stuck to the Hebrew National hot dogs, plain. I like to keep it simple, scarf it down quick like Kobayashi. I don't want to be that guy whose nachos or sausage and peppers or fried pickles goes flying when A-Rod sends one deep. At Yankee Stadium, I guess the only food item you couldn't take to your seat is a fucking fondue pot with bloody raw beef cubes and long fork (at least I hope not). But Manhattan is your oyster. WTF eat anything complicated in the ballpark if you don't have to?

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Incredibly sensible post.

I'm amazed when I see people rushing up to food stands as soon as they enter the park.

You were just outside, where you had every food and drink option available at competitive pricing...But you're saving your money to come in here and pay four times street value for something from the last homestand that's been reheated by crackheads with dirty hands?

Stick with the hot dog and drink inside to get you by, and spend your money at a place where they have normal standards for quality and value.

Draft saved Draft deleted