1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick Yankee Stadium question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The game day subway up to the stadium is a big part of the experience. Be sure to allow enough time to wander the neighborhood a little, get a sandwich maybe, and walk the Grand Concourse.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Going from Manhattan to the stadium is just like riding and as long as the Metro ride from Shady Grove to Glenmont only not as nice. Nevertheless, it is enjoyable.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, you can visit Stan's, where I think they've retired the bar stools at which Boom and 21 met. Or you could go around the corner to Yankee Tavern, which is a much better bar with excellent sandwiches.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Subway to the stadium is not a big deal, so don't sweat it Moddy. It's actually the easiest way to get in and out of there -- lets you right off where you need to be. I prefer 4 train (so you may prefer to stay closer to east side / grand central, than near the garden), but you can do B and D trains also. Even if you stay near the garden, walking across to the 4 train on Lex is no big deal.

One other tip, besides the bars nearby. You will save a mint by buying your food outside the stadium on 161st Street and bringing it in with you. You can bring in anything except beer. I'm not up on exact prices, but a bag of peanuts might be $5 or $8 or $10 or whatever inside the stadium; outside you can get a bag (same brand Barzini) twice the size for a third of the price. Same deal with sandwiches and other stuff you might want. There is a decent enough deli opposite side of the street from the McDonalds -- diagonally away from the stadium -- that sells better stuff than inside the stadium without the jacked up prices. Just stick your food into a clear shopping bag and they will let you bring it in. Then use what you saved to buy the overpriced beer inside.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't buy beer at stadiums on principle. No way I'm paying EIGHT BUCKS for one beer.

Thanks much for all the help everyone, this is great.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Concur- stay in midtown. If you stay on East Side take the 4 train. On West side take the B or D train. Go early and beat the rush. There is plenty of things to see in and around stadium.

A decent hotel is going to run you $280 - $325 in midtown unless you have some discounts.

The Roosevelt on Madison is decent and reasonable and right by Grand Central station where you can get the 4 train. Also very safe area. Rooms there are just under $300

You also might try bidding on priceline bid and just check off "midtown" when you search and also set criteria as no lower than 3 stars"

You might find cheaper hotel in Westchester and take train but it's dead at night and longer trip .

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Are you driving into NYC? Your car might be a factor that has been unconsidered.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Roosevelt is the hotel I recommend to friends who are trying to keep expenses down on a midtown stay.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. Let's see ... Midtown Manhattan ... Tarrytown ... Hmmm.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Moddy, why do you hate America? ;)

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hate to say it, but $8 is probably the 2006 price.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Our 10th anniversary is this fall, that is an unbelievable gift idea. I wonder how much they'd want for a bar stool.

Beer at Yankee Stadium was $9 last season, I believe.

ps to Boom, just wondering why you know the rates at the Roosevelt.

Draft saved Draft deleted