1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick Yankee Stadium question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

because SJ is my google and less confusing.

Are there any decent hotels near the stadium? Everything I'm finding looks like trash. The closest one seems to be a fairly new Days Inn that one guest said was a gang hangout and crack den.

How easy is it to get there by subway if I stay at a hotel near the Garden?

We thank you in advance. I'll nuke this thread once I get some answers.

My son and I want to go see two Braves-Yankees games in June. For all the places I've been and seen in my checkered career, I've never been to Yankee Stadium. New or old.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Personally, I'd say if you want something decent, you want midtown. The rates are high but the accommodations are good. And remember, you're really not that far away via the subway. Enjoy and have a good time.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Boom's your guy for this, but there's no reason to stay at a hotel in the Bronx. Look for a hotel anywhere along the #4 subway line. The stadium's a 20 minute ride from Grand Central.

www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Subway's oh-so-easy, though it gets damn crowded approaching game time. You're much better
    off staying in Manhattan.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Stay in mid-town Manhattan somewhere near the No. 4 or D line trains, either of which will take you to the Stadium. You don't want to stay in the Bronx.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

There is NO reason to stay in the Bronx. You can hop on a subway in midtown and be at the ballpark in 15-20 minutes.

I also wouldn't stay near the Garden if you don't have to.

7. Moderator1

Found a hotel in Harlem I was interested in trying - I've been eager to get up and take a look at the "new" Harlem anyway. But it was too expensive for this trip. I usually stay closer to Times Square (but not IN Times Square). The Garden hotel I'm looking at is one I've used before. Clean, reasonable and about 20 steps from the subway.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Midtown is pretty expensive. A little farther uptown or down- will be a proportionately less so. Or it might depend on how many points you've earned and with which chain.

Be sure to check national motel chains, too, as every one of them now has an outpost in Manhattan.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A little farther from the subway and off the beaten path, but folks swear by

http://www.acc-tutuconferencecenter.com

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also try to look to see if there are hotels in Westchester County near the MetroNorth train line. Might be a little cheaper, and the train takes you right to the Stadium.

11. Moderator1

I'm OK on hotels, thanks. Just never been from Manhattan to the stadium on the train and was curious about staying in the Bronx. Putting the kibosh on that.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I guess you could stay in Tarrytown and Metro-North to the Stadium easily enough but if you're visiting the area mid-town is much more fun than Tarrytown.

Draft saved Draft deleted