1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick style question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by andykent, Jul 10, 2007.

1. andykent

andykent Member

I guess since I just turned 40 ten days ago some of the brain cells need recharging, so I'm looking for a little assistance.

When you have two people with the same last name in a story, i.e. Jack Nicklaus and Gary Nicklaus, how to you handle the attributions? In other words, say the feature is on Gary Nicklaus, so after you introduced him by his full name up high, you have referred to him as Nicklaus all the way down until you quote his father. Do you then stick with Gary and Jack from that point on, or after you have finished quoting Jack and referencing him, do you revert back to Nicklaus?

Sorry if I sound like I'm rambling and doing the old Who's On First skit. ;D

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

After you introduce the second one, you should keep using first names so as to avoid confusion. Though there might be some sentences or grafs that are obvious who you're talking about so it wouldn't be necessary.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It depends on your paper's style, but what sxy said is what's been done at most of the paper's I've been at.

I worked at one where they did first initial, last name, so J.Nicklaus and G.Nicklaus.

They changed it after I did a story involving a set of twins who had the same first initial.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

On a related note, could you use first names alone after both had been referenced?

5. sportschick

Not for that story. I had to use full names all the way through (there was also another brother, but he had a different initial). I think after that they realized how stupid the policy was and went to the first name only being OK on second reference.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I'd say yes if it were a column or a feature piece. Not sure I'd do it for straight news.

7. sportschick

We do here, but that's in sports. I haven't noticed what news does. I'll have to read more carefully now.

8. wow, is that awkward

9. andykent

andykent Member

Thanks for all the responses. Glad I sparked a little thought with that one because it was driving me crazy as I wrapped up my story. ???

Draft saved Draft deleted