1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick Question - SS cards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Madhavok, May 24, 2010.

  1. Madhavok

    Madhavok Active Member

    I'm starting my usual summer seasonal job at Nike and I completely forgot my passport expired. Low and behold my boss calls and says an expired passport will not work for the I-9. I do not have a social security card or birth certificate because I've always used my license and passport for that sort of stuff. Ideally they want me to start working ASAP but I do not have the necessary documentation.

    So -

    Can I drive to the nearest SS office and fill out all the paperwork and have them give me some sort of notice/paper that says I applied for a replacement card and use that?

    Renew my passport - but that'll take forever. I hear you have a five month window for renewal after it expires.

    Or - shit out of luck and have to wait for the US government to take its sweet fucking time to send out a piece of paper with a number on it ?

    Yeah, I know, this is pretty unprofessional of me in terms of being organized.

  2. dooley_womack1

    dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

    The Luftwaffe required cards. The SS didn't
  3. imjustagirl

    imjustagirl Active Member

    Madhavok: I did some research when I thought I'd lost mine a month or so ago, and I think SS cards don't take too long. Also, depending on where you were born, you can order a replacement birth certificate and they'll send it to you pretty quickly. I did it with Michigan.
  4. spnited

    spnited Active Member

    If you are within the state where you were born, you can drive to the town where you were born and get certified copy of birth certificate on the spot, at least you can in NJ
  5. Madhavok

    Madhavok Active Member

    That'd be ideal, but I'm about 1,700 miles from home. I'd just like to start working tomorrow as they had planned instead of next week. In my winter job, I'm a supervisor and have a hand in the hiring process and I remember one of my workers using an expired passport. In fact, I'm looking at some paperwork right now and with the I-9 it says an expired or valid passport. Do I call my summertime boss and mention it again?
  6. Hank_Scorpio

    Hank_Scorpio Active Member

    I was able to drive to my birth town (only 10-15 minutes away) and get a certified birth certificate recently.

    I also needed to get a new social security card. Went to the SSA building and applied for a new card. You can get a free replacement once every few years, I believe.

    Anyway, I did get a form that said I had applied for a new card. Don't remember if it had my number on it, though.

    It took less than two weeks for the new card to arrive, which obviously doesn't help you.

    I forget why I needed the card now, but I sent that form in, along with my correct number written on it, and it was accepted.
  7. Madhavok

    Madhavok Active Member

    I've been trying to get in contact with an agent on the phone but keep getting disconnected. The nearest SSA building is about an hour or so away and I'd try to get there right as it opened and back to Nike around 11-ish what that piece of paper to see if that'll work.
  8. Hank_Scorpio

    Hank_Scorpio Active Member

    Oh and I also included a check stub which had my SS number on it. So I think the check stub along with proof that I had applied for a new card was enough for who I needed it for.

    Of course, it was someone at this place that had typed in my number wrong to begin with on a renewal form.
  9. Madhavok

    Madhavok Active Member

    OK, just spoke with my boss and she said that piece of paper the SSA gives you will be fine. *whew*.
  10. imjustagirl

    imjustagirl Active Member

    Good news!
  11. slappy4428

    slappy4428 Active Member

    Summer job building shoes in Vietnam for 9 cents a day?
  12. bydesign77

    bydesign77 Active Member

    Wow, I didn't realize that ... it used to be that an expired passport was an acceptable document for list a, but I just pulled up the 2010 i-9 form and it's not anymore ...

    Yes, SS cards can be done quickly from a local office, but you need to get to those offices early, like 30 mins before opening, because they take FOREVER to get it done, and there will be a line.

    good luck!
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page