1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick question for my Jewish friends...and pretty much everyone else.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Nov 3, 2010.

?

Offensive?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You're the one who has been attacking anybody who dares disagree with you on this thread.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Projection. If you're not willing to respect people's sensitivities even when doing so would require little or no effort on your part then you're the one who is going to be living in a constant state of agitation.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I'm not trying to attack personally. Just the ridiculousness of being offended by this thing. And the idea that every little remark that someone might make has to be an attack on an entire race or people. Sometimes it's just stupid.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

A little story about being 'jewed down':

I used to work around a moron who constantly talked about getting 'chewed down.' She'd chew down the price, she'd get chewed down on a raise....and anyone in earshot would look around to see if anyone else heard it the same way. Finally someone said something along the lines of 'Jewed. It's 'jewed down.' She thinks for a minute and says, 'What does that even mean??' No clue. Someone explained. The light bulb flickers and fades...no clue.

A few weeks later she was saying it again...she had decided 'chewing' was a perfectly good expression having nothing whatsoever to do with Jews. So she was all clear in her teeny little mind.

So....offensive? Can you be offended by someone who has no freaking clue what they're saying?? We could talk about my darling grandmother whose yiddish roots caused her to believe that the legit term for black folks was 'schvartzes.' Could not get her to say it any other way. The yiddish word for black is some derivative of schvartz or schwantz or schwartz...every Jew who came from Eastern Europe on the boat said 'schvartz' when referring to 'blacks.' She never meant offense...but it was brutally offensive to hear her say it.

One day when I was a little kid, I repeated something she had said...and my father cracked me across the face. Lesson learned, from the era that brought you Mad Men.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

One Native American says nisht.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This is what I was wondering about. Do the vast majority of people know that Hindus use the symbol as a peaceful gesture?
    In the back of my head I knew. But when I saw it on the shelf it was pretty damn shocking.
    It probably wouldn't be in an East-Asian store or religious context, but it a retail setting with a bunch of worthless crap it did look a little out of place.

When it comes down to it, I guess I think the store could've found a better use of their space since this is such a sensitive issue. In an East-Asian store I'd be perfectly fine with it.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Bullshit. That's EXACTLY what you've BEEN doing. ::)

And yes, much of what you've said has been the classic drivel of many a bigot. Say what you want, but if the shoe fits, wear it.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There are a billion people in India, so that's a lot of people who know the symbol in that context.
    However, they may not be the people walking through the store in your town.

Personally, I think context is relevant. A symbol on an Indian rug or carving or statue or mosaic should be construed in its appropriate context.

However, I am neither Jewish nor Hindu. I might see things differently if I were.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Believe what you want f_t.

I'm very considerate of peoples heritage. I'm the guy who yelled at co workers for using the term straightback to refer to a passenger who required lift assistance on a plane.

But I don't tolerate people being offended by things like this. They aren't even correct. That's what gets me.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, aren't we all just so lucky to have you to tell us what we can and cannot be offended by. So, next time I'm a little offended, but not sure, should can I email you first before I say something?

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

::)

Draft saved Draft deleted