1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick question for my Jewish friends...and pretty much everyone else.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Nov 3, 2010.

?

Offensive?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

But it isn't the same symbol.

And not knowing the difference and crying foul before figuring it out and assuming it is offensive is plain dumb.

And the being jewed out thing ... I understand being offended there to a point, but did you take the time to educate? Probably not.

And how about gyping (sp?). Isn't that the same concept as jewing? But no one gets bent out of shape for that.

Point is, stop trying to find offense. Be a part of the solution.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, I did explain it to her. She didn't get it. Not surprising since she wasn't smart enough to realize that she was using the name of a religious group in a derogatory manner.

But your assumption was off. Again, no surprise there since you seem to just be looking for a reason to fight.

If it is recognizable as a swastika, then yes, I do think there is reason to be offended. I am perfectly willing to accept the fact that you disagree. Did you see me jump on your post earlier in the thread? Nope. I respected your opinion. You did not offer me the same courtesy.

So in this case, it is you being a problem.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Speaking about going out of one's way to feel offended . . .

"You know, I was having lunch with some guys from NBC, so I said, 'Did you eat yet or what?' And Tom Christie said, 'No, JEW?' Not 'Did you?'...JEW eat? JEW? You get it? JEW eat?"

[/Annie_Hall]

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Written like a true bigot.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Yes, I'm an intolerant bigot. You pegged me! Good job.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just trying to keep up with the Bydesign Laws of Offense:

So far, anyone offended is a moron, or a fucker, or ignorant, hard to keep up. Oh, and dumb. Forgot that one.

Let us know what else, we'll keep a list to remind us of our failures as enlightened individuals.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

You've missed the point.

I get frustrated at people who get offended at little things that make no difference in life. And when they're offended and they're wrong (like the symbol in the taperstry here).

And quite honestly, most of the time it's the "offended" party that causes most of the "offensive" behavior to continue. Because if they didn't have something to bitch about, then their life would be worthless.

I'm not saying there aren't wrongs in the world, but to live your life in a constant state of offensive aggitation is no way to live.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Are you familiar with the term "never again"?

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

What does that have to do with anything. It's not even the same symbol. That's my point. And being offended by it and not understanding that you're being offended by the wrong thing makes no sense.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I haven't missed the point, I just don't think yours is valid.

You don't get to decide what's offensive. Chief Wahoo, the Tomahawk Chop, Chief Illiniwek, the confederate flag, the n-word, Fuzzy Zoeller's watermelon and collard greens, the swastika...somewhere, there's a group who says 'no big deal,' and another group that calls foul.

If someone is offended, then it was offensive. Doesn't mean anything is necessarily going to happen or change as a result, but if enough people speak up, that's how you enact change.

And as far as I can tell, nothing on this thread was about people who spend their life in a 'constant state of offensive agitation.'

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

That's fine.

I don't think your point is valid either.

But of course thatll make me insensitive or uneducated or a bigot, I'm sure. *rolls eyes*

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Remember, 21, this is the same guy who questioned me for being offended when a cashier told me that she "Jewed" me out of my change.

Draft saved Draft deleted