1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick question for my Jewish friends...and pretty much everyone else.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Nov 3, 2010.

?

Offensive?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I was in a store today that had Hindu figurines. On one, a swastika was engraved on the chest.

I know the swastika was in use long before Hitler and has a specific purpose, but I was still shocked to see it. This wasn't a religious store by any means. I also think that the lay public doesn't know a whole hell of a lot about Hinduism so their first thought would probably that this was some horrible mistake.

I'm pretty sure this thread could locked pretty quickly, so I'm looking for input. Offensive or no?

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

since in understand the connotation, i do not find it offensive

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I voted no, because I understand the ancient usage in Hindu culture. But I can understand those who are offended or put off by it. The swastika has deeply negative connotations in modern society as a result of its use by the Nazis, and not just for Jews.

Although the Jews were Hitler's chief target, the Holocaust killed as many non-Jews as Jews. I believe the figure was about 50-50. We should always remember that it was a human tragedy that was not exclusive to one group of people.

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Speaking of this ...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/city-266884-museum-pretend.html

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I guess I would question the motive of a shopkeeper who would put those in the store, but I do understand the symbolic difference between the hindu symbol and the Nazi flag.

That said, you can say the N-Word was originally just a common reference that didn't mean any harm, or you can fly the Confederate flag merely as a tribute to your sweet granddaddy, but bottom line, those are recognized by many as offensive symbols.

So while the hindu symbol is historically benign, it's always going to be more recognizable as a symbol of hatred and death. Offensive? I'd vote tasteless, insensitive, and bad for (most) business.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The Nazis ruined the swastika for everyone.

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I believe, technically, the Hindu swastika points in the opposite direction of the Nazi swastika.

What type of store was this? Was there a reason it displayed/sold Hindu figurines? You said it wasn't a religious store, but if it specialized in things from Asia or catered to that audience in some other way, I could see a reason for these figurines to be displayed.

Context is everything in this case, I think. If this was in a confederate-flag selling store in Branson, Mo., that's one thing. If it was in an East Asian-style market, it's another.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Yep. It's not even technically the same symbol.

The swastika has both Hindu and Native American connotations that pre-date the Nazi co-opting of it by thousands of years. It's sad that the Nazis polluted its meaning and I do understand that the Nazi flag is its most identifiable connotation, but that doesn't change the meaning it holds to either of these communities.

If it was associated with a Hindu statue I'd say it clearly wasn't intended to be offensive, and it might actually be better-known for its Hindu connotation in a store that caters to an East Asian community (or was owned or managed by someone of East Asian descent). I am curious about the context and what kind of store this was.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I believe the nomenclature is off here.
    Indo-Pak are South Asian.
    Chinese, Japanese, Korean are East Asian.
    Hmong, Lao, Thai, Lahu Malay, etc. are Southeast Asian.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

This works for me.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just being honest...in any form, not feeling the love.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted