1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick Question. Against A Deadline. Help?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

A job posting I just read asks applicants to send their resumes in a text document format such as Microsoft word or equivalent.

Do you think equivalent includes PDF format?

It's an odd newspaper posting that does not specifically ask for clips. Is this normal on any level? I find that strange.

So I was going to send cover letter, portfolio and clips in PDF format.

But not sure how to take this posting.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

NO!

PDF is not a word document.

But did it ask for resumes and clips in a word/text document or just resumes?

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Just resumes Ace.

Which is why I found it odd.

This is for a reporter position.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Use any word-processing program and save them as rich text format. That allows the file to be opened in any word-processing program.

5. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I'm betting they want resumes that can be scanned by a computer -- not optically scanned like a photo, but more cut-and-paste style -- so they can add it to an internal, searchable database of job candidates.

To achieve what I suspect they're seeking, you probably could even paste your resume into the body of an e-mail -- although I wouldn't recommend it, since they said they wanted it in Word or similar.

Just a thought: Rich-text format is kind of iffy ... most can, but not *every* word processor can open these files. Save it as a plain-text document instead, and you can be certain it can be opened by even old, pre-Word computers.

(For what it's worth, PDFs probably would work if they're created directly from your word processing program. If the PDF is created by scanning a printed document, it wouldn't work. But don't chance it.)

</geekmode>

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Also, if you're using a newer Office, save it as a compatible 98-03 doc.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do you really want to work for a company that can't open an RTF?

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

That's a different matter entirely.

Draft saved Draft deleted