1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick Hotel Discount?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I need to book at a Hyatt for what would technically be leisure travel.

I hate to pay the full rate.

Does anybody know of an online coupon or discount that will save me a few bucks?

I hesitate to book thru Hotels.com because I've had really bad experiences with getting horrible rooms. Smoking rooms, rooms where the heat doesn't work, shower doesn't work, etc.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Try booking it by checking AARP or AAA discount online... They never ask for proof...

3. Lugnuts

Great idea - thanks.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was just going to say that. I worked at a hotel, and we'd consistently give folks those discounts over the phone if they were so-so on staying. Also, try asking for the government rate; it's usually double the AARP-AAA discounts for Choice Hotels. But ask if you'll need to bring proof in with you. And if they say it's required, agree to it and play it off like you forgot it when you get to the desk. They'll probably just bump you back to the AAA-AARP rates.

5. Lugnuts

I don't think the govt rate would work - but maybe I'll try that another time. Thanks.

I just saved 10% with the AAA rate.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So the AARP thingy wasn't happening?

7. Mizzougrad96

AARP is usually about 20 percent.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No problem.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC & I just got back from Boston.

We booked it through hotwire.com and got a room at the Intercontinental for $130.00 a night. They're regularly around $350.00 a night. Now, that was two nights before we left but it meant we didn't have to stay at the Holiday Inn Express out at the airport for essentially the same amount

10. Mizzougrad96

The last time I was in Boston, I got a similar deal at some place that used to be a prison. I was prepared for it to be a shithole, but it was very, very nice and I think about $175 a night, which isn't bad for Boston.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's the Liberty Hotel on Beacon Hill. $175.00 is pretty good for ANY city.

Draft saved Draft deleted