1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick help on punctuating a quote

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Dec 7, 2006.

1. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

No. But I've talked out of my colon before.

2. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Is this a rule I haven't heard before? Not being flippant. I'd really like to know. Nobody ever mentioned this to me before, but maybe you had a prof or an editor back in the day make a compelling case for this rule.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Might be something somebody taught him. I never heard it, and have no problem with any punctuation that's appropriate inside a quote, including a semicolon.

It's an interesting discussion, but I don't buy that "people don't talk in semicolons." If there's a pause in there that demands something longer than a comma, a semicolon is fine, although so is an m-dash.

Then again, I've been a lone ranger on my use of the semicolon, particularly when I can use it to replace the incredibly weak "as" in a sentence.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Fixed.

5. lucastim

lucastim New Member

QUOTES WITHIN QUOTES: Alternate between double quotation marks ("or") and single marks ('or'):
    She said, "I quote from his letter, 'I agree with Kipling that "the female of the species is more deadly than the male," but the phenomenon is not an unchangeable law of nature,' a remark he did not explain."
    Use three marks together if two quoted elements end at the same time: She said, "He told me, 'I love you.'"

Draft saved Draft deleted